Still Trying to fit ino the Dating scene

Replies
Views
makemelaaf
Feb 09, 2011 11:19 pm
My dear friends, after all the support I received from my last blog and how others seem to relate and not think I am completely off my rocker, I thought I may post one of my not so brilliant ideas so that others may keep from making the same mistake that I did. I thought that men would better accept me if they did not know I had this bag at all until they learned more about me first. Well I got the brilliant idea to roll the bag up and tape it to me as to make it less noticable. Well my plan worked until I got nervous and the bag began to fill up although I had not eaten in more than 24 hours prior to my date. To make a long story short, the taped up bag although discreet, began to collect stool, didnt have enough room to expand and began to leak under the wafer... I felt it begin to leak, went to the restroom and had an absolute mess to deal with! I excused myself fom the date, and he never called me again. Now I just let it hang and try to not to be around anyone but immediate family and close friends that are aware of the bag. I have learned that this bag is something I have to deal with and some people are just to shallow to deal with it. What those people dont realize is that this could and does happen to alot of people and so they better not say it will never happen to them because they may wake up one day and have one too!

Have a great day!

Karen

dentalguy44
Feb 10, 2011 4:52 am
Hi Karen.
well I'm glad to hear your starting to feel better about your bag, thats great!! there are support belts you can buy that hold the bag in such a way that even a full bag won't pull or strain the stoma, they also hide the bag so no one can see it. in fact I saw the company advertise here on meet an ostomate, I'm going to get one for my self so when I'm at work (the bottom of my bag peeks out from under my scrub shirt)none of the patients will see it. keep your head up my dear believe in yourself & stay positive, you will find some one who will accept you for the beautiful and awesome person that you are!!!
Blessings to you....dentalguy 44
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

loren4life
Feb 11, 2011 12:50 am
I do agree with Karen in that our dates don't need to know up front about our ostomy. If these friends remain friends then the time will become obvious when its time to relay that information to them. I have found that there are lots of good friends that aren't concerned about my ostomy in the public, in bed or otherwise. Loren
ron in mich
Feb 13, 2011 8:23 pm
hi karen did your date know what happened or did you just bail out and leave him hangin,the reason i ask is that if he did,nt know then he might figure he was the wrong type for you? good luck ron in mich.
J.J.
Feb 14, 2011 6:17 pm
Aww..:( sorry that happened..sounded like a good idea at the time right?!!..I truly have to believe that there are people out there that feel that beauty is what is on the inside..and that our character should speak louder than our looks..and you are right anyone could one day wake up and find that they have a pouch too..for life is not kind to any of us..but our true beauty and character are definded in the way we deal with those challenges and situations in our lives!...not by the fact that we have ostomies..getting back into the swing of life and dating is a challenge..and brings on a whole bunch of thoughts..worries and fears..I hope that you and all of us dont lose faith and do find someone wonderful and accepting...good luck =)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play