so scared!

Replies
Views
dgfcr42
Nov 15, 2011 1:35 pm
I did have a colostomy for 4 years and I did have a reversal 2 years ago. But I am now going to get my colostomy back for life on Jan. 3rd. I am so scared. I'm not handling having to get the colostomy for live very well. I did not like it the 1st time I had it, I called it "the thing that I hate". I feel like I am so alone..my faimly does not understand how I am feeling. I am a single 42 year old woman, I am so scared that I am going to be alone for life do to having a colostomy. Is there anyone out there that feels the same way and how did they deal with it? Help please!

budd002
Nov 15, 2011 1:41 pm
I can sympathize with you. I had no idea what this thing was attached to my stomach when I woke up from surgery. I had no warning of the surgery and my life changed right then and there. Doctors lied to me and said my Illio was only going to be for 3 months which it has now been 14 years. Had my rectum removed due to high colon cancer risk in my family so I'm a lifer as well. Try to think of the positive side of things. I know you wonder what is so positive about having this thing attached to you 24/7 but your quality of life will improve once your body adjusts to the ostomy. You won't spend as much time in the bathroom doing cross words and contemplating a new color for the walls. You will save on toilet paper. Once your body has adjusted you can eat what you can tolerate and add new things slowly that you couldn't eat before. Hopefully you won't spend many days in bed with pains and discomfort. This by far is NOT a cure but tr to look at it as an improvement on your life. Seek professional help if you are having a hard time emotionally, seek advice from people on here. Facebook also has MANY support groups that have helped me in times of depression. Remember there is always someone worse off than you. Also there are thing worse than an ostomy but let's not even think of that. Stay POSITIVE, turn your bad thoughts into good. When I feel I'm an outcast, I look around and think to myself....Hee Hee, I'm pooping and your not, you have to go to a washroom to do that. I find humor helps, so learn to laugh at it as well. If you want a pick me up, I'll help you. I can always make something bad into something good...Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing and coping with your new friend. Sharry
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

tess45
Nov 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Hey - I too am scared that I will be alone for the rest of life because of my ileo and also that I will not be able to do the things that I want. My ileo is permanent (Stefan was born Nov 15 2010) and he saved my life - so I have never really hated him but he did depress me a fair bit. The way that I am dealing with it is the following - try not to think of it all the time, try to forget it's there. Try to just carry on as if I did not have an ileo - so far this method works for me really well. Of course I have not been able to return to work - I am still waiting for my surgical wound to heal. But I do my day to day things in the way that I always have - I am hoping that going back to work will not be any different than what is was. I am absolutely terrified of having a blow out in the outside world but so far that has never happened. All I can say is that if you think of yourself in a negative way then that is going to affect you and how to you live in a negative way. There's nothing you can do about your surgery so try to look at it in a positive way after all the alternative is death. And that's scares me more than my having my ileo. There are much worse things that could have happened to you than having a colostomy - try to keep that thought in the back of your mind when you start to feel scared or depressed. Take care and all the best - Terry
SPB
Nov 15, 2011 1:47 pm
Yes, it is scary. You're right to have these concerns. We all have our own version of these worries and problems, but we just push forward. This is the definition of courage.(As an aside... I also hate my condition, but my life is much better if I pretend to love it - I keep the skin near the site healthy, I avoid infection, and I keep my medical supplies well organized.)
Past Member
Nov 15, 2011 4:57 pm
Hi there i think we all have been through this of scary times,its natural to feel this,and your mind just goes rampant on all the ifs and buts,along with lonelyness to being able to cope through life,i too know what your feeling. Its takes courage to come on here and speak your mind about your troubles. when you have colostomy back,take each day at a time,regane your strength,its not easy after but times a healer,as for being alone you never know what fate brings,stay around here and meet people they are always willing to listen and help and give advice, and theres a chance you could meet mr right too.. I wish you luck with your op in january, and a speedy recovery..tc ambies...

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Bill
Nov 16, 2011 5:59 pm
Hello dgfcr42, Thank you for your post. I don't think there can be many people who would look forward to having a permanent ostomy so you are not alone in those feelings. However, when I do get trapped into a bit of negativity about it, the way I cope with it is to focus on the reasons I had it in the first place. On 'balance' the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. I then move on and find something else to occupy my mind that doesn't involve worrying about those things I can do nothing about. Sometimes these alternatives are much more fun. I even look on 'just for laughs' to remind me that there are often things to smile about if you open up your mind (and your post-it page) to humour.(PS: Thank you all for posting on just for laughs) Best wishes BillBest wishes
Roxy
Nov 17, 2011 5:02 pm
I had an emergency ileo on 9/22 due to UC, my colon and appendix ruptered, they told me at a later date I would need two more sugeries to reverse it, the first one to take out the rectum (which is still infected with UC) and create a J pouch, the third one to hook it back up. I have heard a lot of negative things about J pouches that it makes me wonder if I should reverse it or not. Anyone with expierence on that?Also on another note, everyone tells me that with an ileo the output is watery but mine is thick 98% of the time, I feel like I drink all day long and I don't eat things that thinken it up, not sure what to do. It makes me worry about a blockage. Any ideas? Thanks
bjgott167
Nov 23, 2011 5:23 pm
I've had my colostomy since June 2007 . I developed a hernia behind my stoma and tried for reversal .could not do due to scar tissue . They had to move my stoma to the other side in order to repair the hernia . Now im afraid of having another hernia.. Too many scars already!!
bjgott167
Nov 23, 2011 5:23 pm
I have a problem with bleeding around the edges of my stoma. It only happens about once a month but sometimes it seems like a lot of blood .any ideas what causes this . .? I've learned a lot about ostomies on this web site . You are kinda on your own with an Ostomy or so I've found . I guess other people don't really want to think it or know about it . Oh well Rosie
tess45
Nov 23, 2011 7:05 pm
Rosie, is the skin when healthy around your stoma flat or raised and bumpy? Or could the blood becoming from the bottom of the stoma itself? You could try stoma powder also make sure that you are cutting the right size of hole on your flange - or if it is from the stoma itself that's natural the stoma bleeds easily. Have you asked your stoma nurse about it?