For the first time in 15 years

Replies
Views
LincsGuy
Jun 26, 2012 1:14 pm
For the first time in 15 years I went swimming today and it was great to be back, last time I went was in a lake in Germany which is where I lost confidence. It's been over 20 years since swimming in a public pool and I still can't belive I did it. I use Hollister 28200 and it held on with no worries :) It ain't gonna be another 15 years that's for sure :)

honeybblunt
Jun 26, 2012 3:27 pm
Fantastic, good for you! I'm looking forward to the day i can dip my toes in the water again, so i'll take inspiration from you. x
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

LincsGuy
Jun 26, 2012 3:37 pm
Well I got my inspiration from people on here and other forums. Do hope you do go again soon, I loved it and is great exercise x
fable3
Jun 28, 2012 2:02 am
Brave brave man! Congrats!!
Primeboy
Jun 28, 2012 2:30 am
I've taken the plunge in public pools as well as ocean beaches many times without any problem. I have just 2 common sense caveats: no diving and nothing in the bag. Hollister will hold up. Good luck! PB

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
mooza
Jul 02, 2012 11:34 am
Great i went swimming at the beach last summer i dont see why anyone cant swim in pools or wateva unless yu cant actually swim :) well done and keep up the swimming Im a coloplast sensura user never eva had a prob i see an elderly lady where i volunteer and she swims every day in her 80s i think the only one stopping us is us :) XX MOOZA
LincsGuy
Jul 02, 2012 11:43 am
I agree Mooza, but the thought of having another leak in the water is still frightening :o/ - luckily it was in a lake at the time x
mooza
Jul 03, 2012 8:54 pm
awww i seee , that sucks but i would maybe ring some companys get freebies or some of those half moon sticky things to put round the flange , buggar it try another company , hey i know a surfer too soooo !!! :) good luck hun x :D
LincsGuy
Jul 03, 2012 10:38 pm
Thanks mooza xxx - them days hanelong ago and now I am confident again with who I use - I go everyday now :) Until joining sites lie this I thought swimming was a no go so let's spread the word :) xxx
mooza
Jul 03, 2012 11:31 pm
Thats the attitude :) believe me if i could rip mine off to swim i would but i live across the road from the beach so never any probs :)
Past Member
Jul 04, 2012 1:02 pm
Swimming is an everyday event for me. I have had a colostomy for 11 years. Recently I found a product to keep the flange (wafer, plate, whatever you want to call it)dry. It is waterproof and keeps leaks trapped. I have been using it for a year now. It is applied to the flange with each change. One would not know it is even there. I discovered them at an ostomy health fair. By contacting the company, you can receive a free sample alpglobal.com I have no connection with this company. I just use their product and find it great for swimming and bathing.
LincsGuy
Jul 05, 2012 6:33 am
Lovely you are swimming regularly Veroz and there have been waterproof issues for me in the past but I am happy with my appliance. But I will certainly be asking for some samples you mentioned they do sound great. x
mooza
Jul 05, 2012 9:18 pm
wow wonder if you can get them in Australia ??
Past Member
Jul 06, 2012 2:22 am
I don't know if the company that makes the Sure Seal Ring ships to Australia. Send them an email to find out. info@alpglobal.com
LincsGuy
Jul 21, 2012 1:26 pm
Still loving my swimming - go 5 times a week now - but had a mis-hap yesterday diving into the water, my goggles came off, my shorts pulled half down and my bag came half off :o/ - luckily the bag was still empty and I managed to sort myself out quick before getting out the water - then straight to the changing room, I had no spares with me - tut tut - so had to go home with flange loose only held on my a thread. Lesson learnt: tie my shorts tighter, wear flange extensions, take spares and use microskin bags (which I will try soon) Always something gained in mis-haps :)