Any cinema tips??

Replies
Views
Sophie96
Nov 11, 2012 5:48 pm
Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with going to the cinema. I know the obvious is to not eat and drink so i dont get any output so i dont need to go to the toilet and empty it BUT everyone knows that a bit of popcorn and a big cup of coke is a must for the cinema!!! So any tips that can help? or is it just inevitable??

Sophie x

Squeaky
Nov 11, 2012 8:57 pm
Sophie, I would give it a dry run. Try a bit of popcorn at home and see what happens. That way you know what to expect if you eat at the cinema. I do not have any problem with my ileostomy and popcorn. I do how ever limit the amount I do eat. I don't do a container by myself anymore. I know that some people have problems with blockage and popcorn. If you have not eaten any before. I suggest you try just a hand full and see what happens. Good luck and enjoy the movie.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

daveo
Nov 11, 2012 9:18 pm
I just go there and eat and drink! I might eat something before hand and it can be active. My two cents is either go when you know you won't be active, go and try to ignore and enjoy the film, or even go to a showing that's late (as in its almost stopped showing) as there will be minimal people in - so you can go if need to in the middle of the film if need be without worrying about causing a disruption. X
Sophie96
Nov 11, 2012 9:47 pm
Squeaky, i have had a small amount before and it just seemed to go straight through me but that was relatively soon after my op so i may have to give it another go!Daveo, tried to ignore it and enjoy the film today and it just filled itself up so had to go out half way through, very annoying! I ont mind so much about other people because i always get the isle seat now anyway, just annoying missing some of the film!
daveo
Nov 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Well then all I can say is run! Or even try some Imodium - I use it slow the system down at night. X

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Past Member
Nov 13, 2012 12:04 am
I just usually watch what I eat. Eat very little or earlier in the day. And it is really nice to go at a time when there will not be as many people there, late at night or even in the middle of the week. It's always nice to have the theater to yourself. As for the popcorn I do not eat it as it makes my mouth sore due to all the salt. I will have a large soda which always goes straight through me. It can be nerve wracking.
Primeboy
Nov 13, 2012 2:53 am
I try to get an aisle seat near the rear of the theater so I can exit and return easily without notice. Also, I try to avoid going to movies right after dinner when things are active. On a different note, I hear from a very good source that an upcoming movie entitled Silver Linings is supposed to be excellent. PBS
Sophie96
Nov 13, 2012 9:50 am
hi primeboy yea i always get an aisle seat and try not to eat before as well. And yea ive heard good things about that film too x
Bill
Nov 16, 2012 6:29 am
Hello Sophie. I go out 1 night a week (not to the cinema) However, I normally irrigate in the evenings so there is often a lot of output. Fortunately the irridrain sleeves double up as massive bags when they are turned over at the top and sealed. I think if I were to go back to wearing bags I would continue to wear the irridrain sleeves if I went out. This does of course necessitate wearing loose clothing so that the output can actually get into the bag.Best wishes Bill
dixied10
Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm
Hi Sophie...I havent ventured to the movies yet. I cant have popcorn nor pop yet, and I dont have my os noises under control yet..lol. But the theaters are usually so loud it would drown me out anyway.
Past Member
Nov 19, 2012 5:55 am
The best tip is just go and enjoy yourself dont worry about your stoma, you probably wont have any problems.