Manufactures Samples

Replies
Views
kimmytk
Nov 20, 2012 11:09 am
I am 8 weeks out from surgery for my permanent colostomy. I am so tired of cutting the bags to fit Rudolph. I found a list of manufacturers and started calling each one for samples. It's funny some will send you one bag and one gasket. others are a lot more generous. Convatek sent me a welcome package with 4 different kinds of bags and wafers, (at least 8 of each) A Vinyl bag that holds my Ostomy supplies (I loved that) a mirror, barrier wipes, adhesive remover wipes and paste. It was like Christmas for Rudy. I still have 6 more manufactures to call for samples. So far I love Convatek's Sur-fit Natura® Durahesive® Moldable Convex Wafer with Flexible Tape Collar. It is a material seal that is so comfortable and it's a sponge adhesive to hold the bag. None of this plastic two piece wafer that snaps together and gets full of Rudy's feed. This one is so easy to wipe off and it molds to Rudy so he can be any shape. I also found I like the Convatec Esteem synergy® Two-Piece Closed-End Pouch with Filter and Two Sided Comfort Panel. I definitely don't like emptying Rudy's feed bag. It smells, It looks nasty, it's time consuming and I despise it. LOL These closed end pouches you can't see through I get 2 a day and I just throw away, wipe Rudy clean and put a fresh bag on. Suits me perfect. So Newbie's like myself call for your free samples too. But wait for your stoma to shrink about 2 months. Hollister is sending me a welcome gift too. I am anxious to see what they give me.

Here are the Item Numbers

Login to see image

51409269 - Wafer

51409283 - Pouch
Bill
Nov 21, 2012 8:38 am
Hello kimmytk. I also found that some manufacturers were more generous with their samples than others when I first started out on this journey of learning.As you have a permanent colostomy, I would urge you to look into irrigation. It has it's own drawbacks but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages when it comes to trying to live a 'normal' life.Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

dixied10
Nov 25, 2012 2:02 am
Hello kimmytk..I rec'd my permanent colostomy Apr 2012. Ive had a heck of a time with leakage. the coloplast plastic gripped me too hard, hollister flextend was comfortable but wouldnt last a day. I now hv convatec moldable SureFit Natura Durahesive wafers w/tape. Not only are they comfortable but I can easily wear them for 4 dys change bags every 2 days. And they stay secure!When I called them for samples, they sent 4 wafers 4 bags, barrier wipes 4 cohesive seals. I am so thrilled to have made this discovery sooner than later..lol. Good luck on your journey.
hockeymom5331
Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm
Hi Kimmytk! I went through the same process and am also about 8wks into it all. I started off with the convatec and have not tried sampling - just wondering about the barrier wipes you mention. I have not seen them and have been using baby wipes, paying out of pocket for, but thinking that if I can order barrier wipes then perhaps they would be covered by insurance. I have asked my home nurse about ordering wipes and they say they can't find wipes as an ordering option. I agree with you - I like the closed pouch. My hubby, who has been so supportive through all of this, made a comment about not being able to see everything inside like you can with the clear bags - made me feel a bit more confident for being around others in case they would catch a glimpse of the bag somehow.
dixied10
Dec 10, 2012 4:18 pm
for hockeymom5331..barrier wipes (skin prep) is covered by ins medicaid/medicare. I believe the convatec skin prep barrier wipes is what made the difference to stop my leakage problems. They leave an adhesive film on your skin for wafer to adhere to better. so glad you have a supportive husband...best wishes :)

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Dec 11, 2012 1:39 am
Yes, those skin preps have worked well for moi!
kimmytk
Dec 11, 2012 7:06 am
@ Hockeymom5331 To clean myself up I use ReliaMed Gauze Dressing/Sponge, Non-sterile, 4 x 4, 12 Ply , 200/bagItem# ZG4412NS Toilet paper sticks to the gasket. These gauze sponges clean me up great. I wet them with water clean myself then dry with them. They are what hospitals and EMT's use. They last me a month and they are sterile nothing gets thru them. Clean and throw away. Barrier wipes are to protect the skin so the glue doesn't bother it. Use these before putting on a new flange. The closed pouches keep me from obsessing about keeping the bag clean. Out of sight out of mind. A quick change is so much better then emptying and cleaning. Ugh! Something else I really like is the Trendy Top (As seen on TV) 2 for $5.00 they keep me smooth under my clothes.