For New Ostomates

Replies
Views
latina63
Jun 26, 2013 10:11 pm
This blog is for new ostomates. Although I have had my reversal for 8 months now I wanted to share my story to maybe help someone. I had never heard of an ileostomy before my 1st surgery, my surgeon was explaining what could happen if my colon needed to rest after such an extensive surgery (8hrs). Of course I never expected to wake up with a "bag". The ostomy nurse showed me and my husband how to empty and how to change it, I was in such a fog that it didn't really sink it yet. The fun started when I got home! I will say at this point that all first ileostomies will leak!! (if yours does not it will be a first!). We (me & my hubby) could not get the bag to stay on for a few hours at a time. My skin quickly broke down from the acid liquid stool. Your skin will be raw and weepy for a whileand you will have to play around with appliances until you find the one for you. Your stoma will also change sizes so I would suggest to use samples for a while. Your skin will "toughen" up and become calloused (yay!)I was depressed for the first month and but then I adjusted nicely and actually missed my little Rosie when I had my reversal, especially when my butt was on fire and the BM's were 15-20 a day! My advice if you are overweight and have a softer tummy, ConvaTec SUR-FIT Natura Durahesive - Flexible Skin Barrier with Flange (Cut to Fit) worked best for me as they have the ability to gently swell up and "hug" the stoma to help prevent leakage and protect peristomal skin.Awesomeflange! Of course there are other companies that may work for you, this is just from my experience as I am overweight and have a softer tummy! I will always keep up my profile on this website because I still consider myself an Ostomate! I realize how much we need each other and how much we canhelp each other out with stories, advice and general support. Sometimes just reading about someone else'sstory lifts us up. We definitely can relatewith all of our tummy troubles. You can read my story on my profile and feel free to ask any questions. Good luck and God bless!

garfish
Jun 30, 2013 4:23 pm
try the opsite flexifix tape around the outside of your flange/plate. i always get at least a week without leaks. also 3m barrier spray. it's called cavilon. leaks suck
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Stuartlux
Jul 02, 2013 6:24 pm
I'm new to this site and, having looked at various blogs and messages, wish I'd come sooner. I've had a stoma for around 2 yrs and I'm still struggling with it being a natural thing for me for the rest of my life. Looking at your posts (Latina63 and others) has been inspiring and most helpful. I often wonder if I'll ever get used to this.