Irrigation

Replies
Views
scorsby
Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm
Hi.

If you've never tried Stoma Irrigation (and you can) its well worth considering.

For very little effort you can get pretty much complete control over incontinence.

I've been irritating for nearly five years now and it gives you a normal life.

If can help leave message.

Bill
Oct 25, 2016 6:24 am
I agree!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

WAB
Oct 25, 2016 12:51 pm
"I've been irritating for nearly five years now and it gives you a normal life. "

maybe you might want to correct irritating to irrigating..lol....is funny But I agree Irrigation is amazing..I have been doing it 18 years now....
scorsby
Oct 25, 2016 1:39 pm
Damn'd spookchecker.
Irrigation is a fantastic option though.
Do you use a pump or bag ?
John
WAB
Oct 25, 2016 2:12 pm
Is ok...do not worry about it....everyone knew what you meant....I have been using a bag since the beginning....and I sort of have my own technique......I can usually go 3 days but usually irrigate every 2 days......everyone adapts in their own way..........I have a large shower and do it there..with a bench and a bucket..easy clean up....and bags I use from Hollister ( New Image) are easy to reuse as they have a plastic lining............works for me and is easy........I find it strange some sit on a toilet to do it..is not very comfortable and can be a bit messy.....so I found my own solution....

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
scorsby
Oct 25, 2016 5:20 pm
Hi.
I'm quite different.
Why not get in touch.
Johnscorsby at yah and hoo then a co in the UK.
I'd like to compare practices.
John
Bill
Oct 26, 2016 5:29 am
Hello John. I use a pump that I made for myself out of a garden sprayer and an adapted Coloplast cone. I found that the bags were too small for my needs and the cone would not get passed the hernia without the help of the water under pressure.
Best wishes
Bill
scorsby
Oct 26, 2016 7:49 am
Hi Bill
Not sure I understand about 'bags'. I use a Braun power pump and a reusable sleeve which is quick, easy and very uncomplicated. The pump is a fantastic improvement on a gravity bag.
John
Bill
Oct 27, 2016 5:24 am
Hello scorsby.
I agree entirely about using a pump instead of a hanging water bag (which was the bag I was referring to.
There are a few reasons I swopped to a pump, all of which I documented when I blogged a 'Review of the Braun Irrimatic' on 08/17/12. I believe that they have a new unit now called the IryPump S. However, having looked at the leaflet, I still do not think it would be suited to my particular needs but nevertheless,I would recommend that folks try it if they have problems with the hanging, gravity bag method.
Best wishes
Bill
scorsby
Oct 27, 2016 2:19 pm
Hi Bill.
I have the new IryPump S and the difference between it, and the previous model, is the same as a Ford Prefect against a new Porsche. So far . . . . I can't fault its performance, but unlike the Porsche it doesn't pull the chicks.
John
Bill
Oct 27, 2016 5:04 pm
With these vehicle analogies, I suppose I would say that my effort is more like chieftain tank. Complete overkill for everyday use but nothing much gets in its way - including my hernia!!
I'm sure if you pumped the water into a bird bath it would pull a few chicks.
Best wishes
Bill
scorsby
Oct 27, 2016 5:18 pm
Hi Bll
LOL LOL LOL .

John
Angelicamarie
Nov 19, 2016 3:14 pm
I go Monday to see my ostomy nurse who is going to show me how to,irrigate and what to use of course directed by my surgeon. I'm excited I have read my fellow ostomates share . I want that control. Angelicamarie
scorsby
Nov 19, 2016 6:18 pm
Angel.
Go for irrigation. Its wonderfull and gives almost complete control. Take a tip from one who irrigates daily. Go for an irrigation pump over a gravity bag. (I'm not a sales person) but I use the B Braun IryPump and it makes the job so easy. If you're in the U K it is available on prescription. Any questions just ask.

John
Bill
Nov 19, 2016 7:42 pm
Hello Scorsby. I did not know the Irripump was available on prescription! I'm surprised that more people don't use it.

Best wishes
Bill
Bill
Nov 19, 2016 7:42 pm
Angelicamarie. I agree with scorsby - go for it! It makes life so much easier during the day.
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie
Nov 19, 2016 9:39 pm
I go Monday to see my stoma nurse in which she going to show me how and what to use of course guidance from the surgeon thanks guys!!!!!
scorsby
Nov 20, 2016 6:14 pm
Angel
Go for the pump. Any problems let me know and I can put you in touch with the Braun Rep who is fantastic.
Very helpful lady.
John
Angelicamarie
Nov 20, 2016 11:43 pm
John that for that info, have a good evening/morning angelicamarie