Managing Fiber Intake with an Ileostomy - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Clayla
Jan 28, 2024 6:45 pm

I am 15 years out since surgery. I have an ileostomy. Lately, I am having trouble with, I think, fiber. I try to limit it, but I am eating a new bread which has 3 g per slice. How much fiber is too much at one sitting? Unfortunately, I can no longer have pineapple, dried fruits, or certain combos together. What's your experience? Thanks!

eefyjig
Jan 28, 2024 7:14 pm

Hi Clayla, sorry you're having this symptom now. Are you having pain? Blockages? I've had my ileostomy since 2015 and ate everything just fine until I started having pain about three years ago. The only diagnosis I was given was mild gastritis, which certainly did not seem to match my pain level. Out of desperation, after eliminating dairy and gluten did nothing, I cut out vegetables thinking it may be the fiber. My pain is reduced significantly. Weirdly, I can eat tons of popcorn and be fine. Maybe it's the type of fiber?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Morning glory
Jan 29, 2024 12:05 am

I have to be careful of eating too much fiber. Just take note of what you have eaten when you're having problems.

IGGIE
Jan 29, 2024 11:28 am

If all has been well for 15 years, then it's got to be something new. Looks like the new bread. Stop and see how you go. Regards, IGGIE