Taking Flomax with an Ostomy - Seeking Advice and Alternatives

Replies
Views
Cubbies24
Jun 18, 2024 12:02 am

I had my ileostomy about 5 years ago and was recently prescribed Flomax for a prostate issue. I was told early on not to take capsules because they might clog the stoma, and I am afraid to take it. Does anyone have any experience taking Flomax with an ostomy? There doesn't seem to be an alternative to Flomax as a capsule. Thanks in advance.

warrior
Jun 18, 2024 1:18 am

That's a good one!😄😆🤦‍♂️

...a capsule may clog the stoma hole? And may I ask who told you this to give you worry?

I have had an ileo for several years. After my butt got sewn up last October 2023, I had issues with peeing from that surgery. It seems this is common. Urination.

I began Flomax about 3 months ago and I do not have any clogging issues at all at the stoma.

There should be no issues because the capsule disintegrates from stomach acid so the Flomax medication could work.

Nothing to worry about here. You were told this by whom?

There are a few of us on Flomax. They will chime in and agree with me, I think.

Good luck managing that prostate. And of course, welcome to the community here. Whatever your concerns, just ask.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jun 18, 2024 7:39 am

No issues for me. Probably someone with no ostomy giving stereotypical ostomy advice. 🙄

Beth22
Jun 18, 2024 9:25 am

They actually tell us with an ileostomy, not a colostomy, that capsules along with coated pills like ibuprofen, muscle relaxers, etc. (because the thick skin-like coating doesn't have enough time to break down), along with gel capsules, can cause a blockage or pop out whole.

warrior
Jun 18, 2024 11:26 am
Reply to Beth22

Interesting. No one told me anything about this. But it makes sense.

"Fast acting" I think are the key words here.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
ron in mich
Jun 18, 2024 1:15 pm

Hi Cubbies, I've been an ostomate for 30 some years and have been on Flomax for 10-12 years now and have had no issues other than finding some tiny white beads occasionally in the bottom of my pouch.

Happytostillbehere
Jun 18, 2024 1:50 pm

Been on Flomax since I've had my ileostomy for about a year and a half and absolutely no problems.

Mysterious Mose
Jun 18, 2024 2:46 pm

I take 0.8 mg of tamsulosin (Flomax) every day. I did so before and after my colectomy. I was also given it in the hospital for the 3 months I was there. No discernible issues. Someone is telling you porkies. :-)

Daniel

TerryLT
Jun 18, 2024 7:30 pm

I've never taken Flomax, but have taken lots of other vitamins and supplements in capsule form without any problems. I stopped taking some vitamins in pill form because they didn't break down and just came out looking the same as when they went in, so they obviously weren't doing me any good. I chew my magnesium pill for the same reason.

Terry

Andrew82
Jun 19, 2024 8:44 pm

I had to take it for a kidney stone. I didn't have any issues. I did have issues with the citrate nitrate or whatever the nephrologist put me on as they were massive pills that didn't really digest. They would pass but sometimes felt 'stuck'.

Golf&Osto
Jun 20, 2024 3:05 pm

Cubbies, I have had a colostomy bag since 12/25/23. I had a long-term leak that bonded to my bladder, which caused me to have trouble peeing. The surgeon put me on Flow Max the next day. I have not had any issues with the capsules not melting or any clogging from the capsules. I'm not sure where your information came from, but no one mentioned that to me when they put me on the drug. I'm glad I am on Flow Max; it has really helped. Oh, and drink a lot of water.