Seeking Advice on Choosing the Right Ostomy Bag

Replies
Views
gsed.watson
Jul 30, 2024 8:21 am

Hi guys,

I will try to provide as much information as possible to give context to my situation.

Over the last three weeks, I have been trying all types of bags. I was using Salt's convex and getting leaks when doing things like running for the bus. The nurse wanted to change me to a flat bag as they felt the convex was pushing my stoma out. I did raise this issue with them a few months ago when they changed me to this bag, but they said it is normal, and it's more about gravity taking hold.

For flat bags, I tried the Coloplast, Pelican, and Hollister bags. None worked. When I had surgery, I was using Salt's flat bag, and they changed it due to starting to have leaks.

I can say that when I did wear the flat bags, it did not bulge at all as it does with the convex.

My output comes out of the bottom of my stoma, close to my skin, so the convex bags help lift the stoma. I also use a barrier ring because on the left of my stoma I have a scar from surgery. I noticed that Pelican convex bags seem to give the best hold (no leaks); however, it really does bulge.

At this point, I'm not sure of other things I could try. I need the lift that the convex bags provide, but the downside is that it pushes it out.

All the bags I have tried are one-piece, and I'm thinking about trying two-piece bags.

My question to anyone reading this is:

1. Do you have output at the bottom of your stoma, and what products do you use?

2. If you have tried both a flat and a convex bag, do you see a difference in the size your stoma goes to while wearing the bag?

3. Using a two-piece, do you think it helps if you have output coming from the bottom of your stoma?

If I have missed anything, as I am now 9 months living with an ostomy, please add and give your comments. They may help.

Thanks in advance.

AlexT
Jul 30, 2024 8:34 am

Have you considered having your stoma fixed?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Kas
Jul 30, 2024 11:44 am

My stoma exit is located centrally on the stoma, so that's where the drainage comes out of. I have very liquid output all of the time and had a lot of leaks. I've tried just about everything I think. What works best for me is a Hollister 2-piece convex with a moldable ring and full change every other day.

Like AlexT said, maybe you need to see your surgeon and discuss a possible revision.

Justbreathe
Jul 30, 2024 11:49 am

Hi gsed and thanks for the great questions... I seem to have the same exact issues and have yet to discover any appliance that actually works. I frequently try new fixes but always return to my "old faithful" (ConvaTec -ActiveLife 1-Piece Drainable Pouch #5122771) which is the most comfortable. Although most comfortable and the least amount of bulk... I still have a bit of seepage, so I change every other day to avoid skin rashes. I will be interested in replies to your questions... thanks for asking. jb

p.s. I have not tried a 2-piece in a very long time due to a bad experience with this when I had home health care following surgery.

p.s.s. Would not even consider more surgery for the downward aiming stoma... it works fine and unless that changed like complete withdrawal or hernia issues I will avoid surgery. Just a personal choice though.

IGGIE
Jul 30, 2024 12:45 pm

G-Day Watson, I have an ileostomy stoma that comes out from the left side and I use a Hollister 2-piece convex and a seal and I have no problems. Make the seal fit nice and snug but cut the hole in the base about a millimeter bigger. And I change every Monday and every Friday. Keep us up to date and let us know which way you go. Regards, IGGIE

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Jul 31, 2024 2:56 am

Confer with a surgeon about revision. Your stoma should stick out at least an inch. Stomas move about and change shape quite a bit. Being too close to the skin causes many problems.

pfl055470
Aug 04, 2024 6:45 am
Reply to AlexT

I like the 18194/14604 setup. They work 👍 for me. I've been wearing them for years. You can burp them if you have gas. I got mine in 2016. I can get up to 2-3 weeks with no leaks.