What would you do if it were you?

Replies
Views
thing1
Jun 17, 2011 3:43 pm
Here's the thing, I had an emergency ileostomy in October 2010 but had been too ill to work since September and as a result lost my new job.  Because I was so ill and had lost so much weight its taking me a long time to recover.  I still have UC in my remaining colon which I am waiting to have removed.  This has got worse since my azathioprine was stopped to be ready for surgery.  I have been on ESA and failed my ATOS medical (apparently I was too optimistic, honest and proud according to a benefits advisor after the medical!) so was advised I was no longer entitled to ESA and had to claim Jobseeker's allowance at the beginning of May.  At my medical I provided evidence of an appointment for a J-Pouch reversal in June, this was ignored.  I now have to go to tribunal to appeal the decision.  I don't know how I can declare myself available to work when I am still ill and when I am facing 2 major surgeries again.  Yesterday my operation was cancelled for the 3rd time and rescheduled for end of August now.  It is not my fault this keeps happening - believe me I would rather it didn't.  I really don't know where this leaves me regarding my appeal and I don't know what to do to get it through to these people that if I was well enough to work and available to work I would but I really can't.  I'm so upset and stressed out by this and I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.  Has any else had to deal with this?  ANy helpful suggestions?
sherrybear
Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm
sorry for your trouble. I'm in Ohio usa and my doctor but me on disability,try and talk to yours and see if they will help u out. Good Luck.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

thing1
Jun 17, 2011 6:15 pm
my doctor has signed me off work and as far as he is concerned I am not fit for work and my consultant and surgeon have told me I should concentrate on getting better, regaining my weight and being fit for surgery which I have made the DWP aware of but as far as they are concerned the professional opinions of those closest to my medical situation account for nothing it would seem.  Our government beaurocracy doesn't seem to be able to function outside the paramenters of a tick box and there is no room for compassion or common sense.
Steve8906
Jun 20, 2011 1:55 am
Believe me when i say that the EXACT thing happened to me. I had an emergency Ileostomy last July, I passed a Medical a few months later although still unfit for work. I also had new dates for my reversal Reversal which got ignored. Sick notes from my doctors were also ignored and in total i lost around 12 weeks ESA over Xmas. I had to appeal against the decision to stop the ESA and it wasnt long before i got a phone call from a guy dealing with it. It took all of around 5 minutes to explain the entire situation and a couple of weeks later i received a nice big payment from them for the 12 weeks id missed.

You need to get a doctors certificate to declare that for the time being you have been unable to work due to recovering from an operation, and also that you have up coming operations. This can cover you for an operation anywhere up to 3 months in the future. Also get angry with the hospital. They arent allowed to cancel your operation 3 times unless its exceptional circumstances, and even then they have to book it back in for as soon as possible