Ileostomy and Water Retention Issues - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
frankknight35
Jul 15, 2024 6:09 pm

I wonder if anyone has had the problem I have now and again.

I have an ileostomy and at present, due to kidney problems, I have water retention. I find if I have a lot of liquids, I suffer at night with water seeping from the circumference of the stoma. The water breaks the seal of the bag, causing a mess. My stoma nurses tell me it is impossible for water to come through the

circumference of the stoma. But it is!

Can anyone help, please?

Frank

Morning glory
Jul 15, 2024 6:35 pm

I have never heard of this. Hopefully, someone can answer your question. I would check with your nephrologist. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jul 15, 2024 7:03 pm

My question... Why do you only have this issue at night? If water is actually seeping out, it should happen 24/7. I highly doubt it's seeping out; your output may be basically just water, and it continually drips out, or maybe your stoma mucusy stuff is more pronounced under the circumstances, causing more liquidy stuff in your bag. 🤷‍♂️ 

Beachboy
Jul 15, 2024 7:48 pm

I would consult a surgeon. If a stoma is properly installed, it's watertight. Have your stoma examined. It definitely should not leak anything except out the spout. Think about it. If water leaks through the edges, why not liquidy poop?

Good luck.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 15, 2024 9:38 pm

The only time I had anything like what you describe is when I developed pancreatitis. However, I already had a JP drain, and that is where the fluid came from. It was gushing out when I was taken back to the hospital. I suppose something like that could possibly seep through your stoma somehow. However, you don't describe any symptoms of pancreatitis, so I have probably picked the wrong tree up which to bark. :-)

Whatever it is, I would suggest you talk to a knowledgeable physician and not rely on nurses, as much as I respect and admire them.

Daniel

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Mysterious Mose
Jul 15, 2024 9:47 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Devil's advocate here. :-)

It could be because the poop is already traveling out of the ileum, which may protrude a couple of inches into the bag. And the liquid is coming from around the ileum, which is fastened to the stoma.

Or maybe Frank is a back sleeper and has very liquid stool? Pooling could account for seal damage, especially if there is a lot of bile.

There are probably one or two more plates of spaghetti to toss. But as you say, he should see his surgeon.

Daniel

Beachboy
Jul 16, 2024 7:32 am

Excellent stoma website with pictures. Once on the site, scroll down.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5498169/

margueritelewis89
Jul 17, 2024 2:07 pm
Reply to AlexT

With that problem, I noticed it was happening when particles of food would just sit inside the circle of the flange. Then I unlock my bag, take a wet wipe, and clean it away from the flange, and sometimes I notice it has seeped behind the flange. That calls for an adjustment by putting on a clean bag. Hope this helps!