Ileostomy Refashioning Experiences and Advice Needed

Replies
Views
Illeostobae
Jul 25, 2024 6:40 pm

Hey, so I'm new here. I'm waiting to have my ileostomy refashioned as it has retracted quite significantly. Has anyone had this done before, and what does it entail?
Many thanks.

Beth22
Jul 26, 2024 1:36 am

Yes, I have a couple of times. Are you just having a revision or relocation? If you're having a revision, then they go in the same spot you are now, and they pull the intestine back out and make sure there is length.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

w30bob
Jul 26, 2024 2:52 am

Hi illeo,

As Beth said... easy peasy... unless there's something preventing them from pulling your stoma out a bit and restitching it. In that case, all bets are off and they may have to open you up to find out what's preventing your bowel from freely being pulled through your abdominal wall. It's usually something like an adhesion that's the culprit... and in that case, it might be simple to address... or a bit more involved. Ask your surgeon what the worst-case scenario will be... and plan for that. Then, if it never happens, you'll be happily surprised! Let us know how it goes!

;O)

ron in mich
Jul 26, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi I lieostobae, welcome to the site. After 30 some years and battling Crohn's off and on, I had resection surgery 6 years ago. The operation started out laparoscopically but then was fully opened due to scar tissue tying things up, and I wasn't too happy when I woke up and found I had full open surgery, which meant a longer healing time. However, the new stoma works much better, like going from a soda straw to a garden hose, so I'm glad I had it done.

Axl
Jul 26, 2024 11:53 pm

Hi there

Just be aware that a refashion at the same location will result in a larger diameter stoma, as all the existing scar tissue needs to be removed because the appliance doesn't like sticking to surface scars for some reason.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play