Crohn's Flare-Up Years After Ostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
rosebud621
Jul 27, 2024 2:38 pm

Has anyone had a Crohn's or Colitis flare-up years later with an ostomy? What were your symptoms, and what meds were prescribed?

Jayne
Jul 27, 2024 2:50 pm

Hello Rose Bud

Fortunately not - but others have had flare-ups - and I wish you the very best with managing such a situation. I regret I am not au fait with modern meds to manage a recurrence - I hope you are able to focus on remission ASAP.

Hug

Good luck

BW

Jayne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 27, 2024 3:50 pm

I haven't had a recurrence of colitis with my ileostomy (no colon). However, I did develop proctitis. I am using mesalamine to combat it, and it looks to be cleared up. I also have stopped using any sort of anti-inflammatory. I thought I could go back to using ibuprofen after losing my colon. Silly me.

Daniel

rosebud621
Jul 28, 2024 12:02 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I only take Tylenol.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 28, 2024 5:20 pm
Reply to rosebud621

I spoke a bit soon about the proctitis being cleared up. I have been trying to wean myself off the mesalamine by going to every other night, as suggested by my gastro PA. I still am getting some reddish coloration, so I am going back to daily. The problem is that the stuff is so damned expensive with my "insurance".

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Morning glory
Jul 29, 2024 7:13 pm

No, I haven't. I sure hope you feel better. Have you been diagnosed as having a flare-up of either?

Ismini
Aug 04, 2024 3:06 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I have the same situation, although I have to take a mesalazine suppository in the morning and prednisolone in the evening. Whenever I try to reduce either, I get the reddish coloring too. Very frustrating indeed.

Mysterious Mose
Aug 04, 2024 5:21 pm
Reply to Ismini

I'm back in the reducing stage. Every three days right now. Fingers crossed. There is no way I want a proctectomy at my age and after the experience with my last "ectomy."

Daniel

Henry44
Sep 09, 2024 4:25 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hi Daniel,

How is the proctitis now? Have the symptoms gone away?