Is It Normal for Stoma Size to Change After Colostomy?

Replies
Views
eab3691
Aug 04, 2024 8:45 am

I got a colostomy back in May, and now I've noticed my stoma is 'poofier' or a bit more protruding. Is this normal?

warrior
Aug 04, 2024 10:42 am

Yes, it is. - the short answer. 😁

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
Aug 04, 2024 11:55 am

Mine goes from a mushroom to prunes.

eab3691
Aug 04, 2024 12:25 pm
Reply to warrior

Thanks 🙂

warrior
Aug 04, 2024 7:20 pm
Reply to eab3691

👍 No worries. Stomas happen. 😆 Several years I didn't notice this change in size. This year I nearly fainted at how large it blew up.

Usually half the diameter of a ping pong ball round, it blew up to a peach-sized diameter at appliance change. Twice.

Since then it's behaved. I think it wanted attention.

Sure as shit, I gave it some. I have had an ileo for 8 years.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Kimmy050263
Aug 04, 2024 8:24 pm

My stoma was ever-evolving. Sometimes small, sometimes large. Ms Stoma had a mind of her own.

DeMaGo
Aug 04, 2024 8:40 pm

Hi,

Mine has changed too; I had an ileo in May and the stoma was straight. It's now at a 90° angle. The size changed on me; I think this is the reason I had a leak under the wafer.

I learned that regardless of what the stoma looks like, always check the measurement and cut the wafer to fit. My 29mm went to a 28mm stoma, so I check it, cut the wafer, and double-check the fit.

Desiree

Beachboy
Aug 04, 2024 9:31 pm

I've learned... don't cut the wafer too close to the stoma size.

Like Warrior... My beast can get really big, then a few minutes later, it reverts to normal size. I used to be concerned when it got big, but now I ignore it.

As Mae West would say: Is that a stoma under your shirt, or are you just happy to see me?

TerryLT
Aug 04, 2024 11:53 pm

My stoma is all over the map in terms of size. It's normal. The other thing is that after surgery, your stoma will naturally change size a bit as you heal. Usually, it will be slightly smaller once healing is complete, but you will still see daily fluctuations as it does its thing.

Terry

IGGIE
Aug 05, 2024 2:42 am

My stoma has gone from 30mm in diameter to 19mm. If it keeps going, it might disappear altogether. IGGIE

infinitycastle52777
Aug 06, 2024 7:14 am
Reply to IGGIE

That's what mine did too. It just keeps getting smaller. I have to cut the damn wafer freehand because there isn't a circle for the size that my stoma is. You can either be 32mm or I think it's 25mm, and there is nothing in between the two. So, I have to cut a rough circle between the two lines. Sometimes it comes out straight, and sometimes not so much. I nearly have given up on pre-cutting the wafers when I get them in the mail because I never know what size I will need to make the hole. Grrr...