Is Mucus Output Normal for a New Colostomy?

Replies
Views
jalrein
Aug 19, 2024 7:45 pm

I had an ileostomy for 3 years. I had it reversed and a colostomy to the other side of my abdomen. Is it normal for my stoma to have a mucus output along with the normal output? The ileostomy stoma was just shiny, while the colostomy stoma has mucus over it. Is this normal? I've only had the colostomy for 4 months and it's completely different than the ileostomy. Output. Appliance. Everything is different.

Bill
Aug 19, 2024 7:56 pm

Hello jalrein.

Mucus is generated by the colon. Therefore, logic would suggest that the more colon you have the mucus it will generate.
an ileostomy has quite a lot less colon than a colostomy. also the faeces has further to travel and changes its consistency along the way.
The answer to your question 'is this 'normal' would presumably be a resounding YES! Except that there is not much that's 'normal' about a stoma. But, within a community like this, stomas are 'normal'.

Best wishes

Bill   

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Aug 19, 2024 8:08 pm

My colostomy stoma has mucus on it. Sometimes more, other times less.

I also expel mucus from my rectal stump.

jalrein
Aug 19, 2024 8:38 pm
Reply to Bill

Thanks, Bill! My colon is completely normal. I have the colostomy due to a spinal injury I had 4 years ago, and since it's too dangerous to do surgery on that area of my spine, I have no feeling in my waist. No muscle control. What you told me makes complete sense. After I read your response, I spoke to one of my ostomy nurses. She said the same as you. Thank you so much, Bill.

AlexT
Aug 19, 2024 10:46 pm

Yep, there's mucus.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play