Finally Changed My Colostomy Bag by Myself

Replies
Views
eab3691
Sep 09, 2024 1:55 am

When I got my colostomy bag in May, a worker had to come into my hospital room and show me how to change it. It was painful as I was still tender there, but my main issue was looking at my stoma without throwing up. I'm horrible at these things and up till now, my wife has changed my bags.

Knowing I need to do this myself, I changed it myself (I knew what to do as I've helped my wife change mine every time). It wasn't as bad as I planned, but did take longer as she's got a better view of my stoma than I do (using a stencil to cut the board opening to fit my stoma).

She was relieved I did it myself. I'm just ashamed it took me this long to work up the guts to do it myself. I'll be doing it now on myself till I have my reversal in February.

RonnieB2
Sep 09, 2024 3:21 am

Well, good job. At least you made progress.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

rebrur2
Sep 09, 2024 6:08 am

Great job! I have done all of my bag changes since I got home from the hospital (my husband is grossed out by the whole thing). My kids have helped a few times by handing me supplies (they are fascinated by it). I do remember that my first bag change was so stressful but I felt so accomplished after. It gets easier.

eab3691
Sep 09, 2024 6:14 am
Reply to rebrur2

I'm the one grossed out by seeing, fiddling with my stoma, changing it, but I don't need to rely on somebody else doing it. Seeing my stoma is still gross to me, but I'm giving it my best shot.

AlexT
Sep 09, 2024 7:27 am
Reply to eab3691

Good for you. Hopefully, you have a mirror that you can use when changing/measuring to see what you're doing better. My stoma nurse always put the barrier ring on my stomach first and then the bag. I found that too much of a hassle to try and see, so I just adjusted to putting it on my bag first and eyeballing it from there. No different outcome.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
warrior
Sep 09, 2024 8:56 am
Reply to AlexT

Yep... I do that... attach the ring to the bag first. Then attach it to the stomach. I feel it makes a better seal that way. Found out through trial and error this works for me. Much easier.

To each their own.

Kas
Sep 09, 2024 10:04 am

Good for you!

My stoma grossed me out at first too, and I had the home care nurse do all the changes at first. Then I had a leak, and she wasn't here, so I had to step up and do it alone (my dogs are no help)! The first couple of times I changed it, it seemed to take forever, but after a bit, you become more proficient, and it doesn't take so much time.

Once your stoma size is stable, you can just keep a template and use that for tracing and cutting. I also apply my ring to the barrier because I feel I get a better seal that way.

Morning glory
Sep 09, 2024 12:01 pm

Good for you. 

Justbreathe
Sep 09, 2024 12:07 pm

Yep… just after my surgery, my husband was the one who learned how to do the change as I tried to watch - that's when the nurse said to him, “Oh, look how white she is, she looks like she may pass out,” and I remember thinking I WISH I COULD! Then came the home care nurse - he was not well trained, to say the least, and my husband would stand nearby. When the nurse wanted to pour M9 deodorant directly on my stoma, we decided to cancel this service. On our own, he would change the setup but not for very long. I realized I needed to do this on my own. All this to tell you I feel your pain! This all happened 4 years ago, but I have not forgotten. So, having said all this - GOOD ON YOU!!! No, GREAT ON YOU!!! A big hurdle now overcome. At first, it is difficult, disturbing, discouraging, and sometimes inconceivable that “you will ever get it right,” but take heart - in good time these feelings will subside, and you can be thankful you took on this task and how smarticus you have become in the ways of osteeomeOHwisdom! Now onward and upward! 🫶🏼. jb

ron in mich
Sep 09, 2024 1:00 pm

Hi all, when I got my ileostomy 30 some years ago, I was shown once in the hospital while standing in a shower stall, and from there on I did it myself. The first ones at home, my wife would hand me things to make my change as I stood over the toilet, worrying that I would have output. But I figured out the best time to change and started doing it myself, and then I only worried about touching my stoma. But come to find out, it has low-grade nerves, so not much of a sensation of touch while cleaning around it.

infinitycastle52777
Sep 09, 2024 1:11 pm

Good job! You are making progress. Keep up the good work. It takes time to get comfortable with your stoma. I am glad you have given yourself the time you needed.

warrior
Sep 09, 2024 1:45 pm

Just for laughs... I mean, what's all the fuss about seeing your stoma... a.k.a. small intestine - hanging out of your stomach, eh..?

Don't people nowadays pick up after their dogs pooping? How gross is that?

How about someone talking to you with a booger hanging from their nose?

Even Frankenstein was kinda cute. 😆

eab3691
Sep 09, 2024 4:01 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Thank you so much🥰

eab3691
Sep 09, 2024 4:01 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Thank you so much🥰

RonnieB2
Sep 09, 2024 8:02 pm

Just to add, I was shown only once in the hospital and had to screw up over and over until I got it right, and I'm still learning. People have their own phobias, I guess, but it's really just a chunk of meat. Maybe it's because I've seen worse, been through worse, it didn't faze me, but proud of you.

TerryLT
Sep 09, 2024 8:52 pm
Reply to warrior

And let's not forget about changing poopy baby diapers. Never having been a mother, I think that would gross me out way more than changing my ostomy appliance.

Terry

CrappyColon
Sep 09, 2024 10:23 pm

Good for you, Eab! You know, around the time of your initial post about not being able to change your ostomy and your wife doing it for you… you kinda took a wallop over the head for that, and in my opinion, handled it graciously. Around the same time, a woman posted about not being able to change hers and her husband did it for her… no one told her to woman up and do it herself (as of this date). I had a nurse aide take a very gentle tough love approach with me in the hospital. She spent a lot of time with me, and that was in addition to my WOC nurses. I had a psychologist within the digestive disease department working with me too, as this was at a larger hospital. With all that support, including my family, it was still really hard for me. Sounds like you've been able to come a long way 😃

CrappyColon
Sep 09, 2024 10:47 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Terry, changing a poopy diaper on a force of nature that weighs almost 30 lbs and is flailing all limbs and twisting and turning & learning not to bite while you're trying to do three things simultaneously with two hands is definitely harder than changing an ostomy 😂

warrior
Sep 10, 2024 12:03 am
Reply to TerryLT

Oooo, copy that, Terry. For sure. 

Boom⚡️ Dave Letterman's top ten list- 

Things that are worse than looking at your own stoma... GO!

Picking up dog poop.

Picking up Frankenstein's poop. 

Baby poop diapers.....

Asking w30bob about oral hydration systems...😴😴 

w30bob
Sep 10, 2024 1:19 am
Reply to warrior

Mom always said it was important to make an impression... so glad to know I did. Even if it's related to picking up and disposing of poop. Hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere!

;O)

w30bob
Sep 10, 2024 1:21 am

eab.

Glad to hear you fought your fear and won! Cross this one off your bucket list... and if it wasn't on your bucket list, then add it... and then cross it off!

;O)

helpmecomputerguy
Sep 10, 2024 4:17 pm

Great job evolving to being able to do it yourself. My first solo change took 45 minutes. Now I can do it in four :)