Flying Post-Ileostomy Surgery: Seeking Advice and Tips

Replies
Views
MargaretMary
Sep 25, 2024 1:55 am

Hello, I will be traveling by airplane this weekend for the first time since my ileostomy surgery 10 months ago. Any advice or tips / tricks? I'm kind of anxious about the trip. Thanks!

šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ Jo
Sep 25, 2024 2:25 am

I always pack double the supplies I think I'm going to need in my carry-on bag, they don't take up much space (never needed to use the extras - they're just for peace of mind).

You may have to go through the full body scanners, often get a pat down and some questions, but it's all very discreet. Ā Have been overseas many times and security differs in each country but never had any issues.

I try and get an aisle seat. Ā I eat and drink as normal (I have an ileo), and empty about every 5 hours (normal for me).Ā  In any new situation I think it's best to do what you usually do in day-to-day life and go with the flow, less to stress about if you don't overthink things.Ā 

The flight is the easiest part, once you get through check-in and security and are in the plane, sit back and relax and enjoy yourself! ā‹†ļ½”Ėš āœˆļøŽ āœˆļø ā‹†

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Sep 25, 2024 8:36 am

Helllo MargaretMary.

Agreeing wholeheartedly with au Jo.
I have flown long distances many times and have had no adverse incidents of note (except of course those things we come to expect with a stoma).
Only once was I stopped by airport security, and that (I suspect), was because in those days some of my DIY gadgets had metal components.Ā 
I was invited into a side room and asked about my stoma.
My first response was to say that I thought all airport security staff should get training regarding stomas.
Then the couple of staff that were there, asked if I would mind if they invited some of their colleagues to join the conversation.
To which I responded enthusiastically. (any excuse to educate the general public).
Very soon I had an 'audience' of about 6 people, to whom I performed a 5/6 minute talk and demonstrationĀ  on living (& flying) with a stoma.
Much to my surprise and delight, this audience actually applauded my performance and thanked me profusely for sharing my experiences and, for so graphically showing them my stoma (& devices)Ā  without embarrassment on either side.Ā 
Not everyone can 'perform' in such impromptu circumstances, so I hope that my efforts helped these people understand and appreciate some of the things we live with everyday. I also hope that it helped them to empathise with any travellers that have this condition.
Occasionally, I reflect upon this incident and consider what (if anything) I might have done to improve on my 'performance'.
This has prompted me to always have a list ofĀ  books on my phone, so that I can share where people can get more information if they so require it.Ā 
When I used to give organised talks, I would almost always have 'handouts' for people in the audience to take away with them. Whether they were of any practical use, I'll probably never know. However, it would give me a feeling that I had done everything I needed to do for a satisfactory 'ending' to the 'performance'.Ā 

I hope you have a an incident-free trip that you can look back on and enjoy.

Best wishes

BillĀ Ā 

Ā 

MargaretMary
Sep 25, 2024 8:45 am
Reply to šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ Jo

Thank you, great advice!Ā 

Axl
Sep 25, 2024 9:39 am

Don't be late ... šŸ¤£

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
dmo101
Sep 25, 2024 7:20 pm

No different than before you had an ostomy.

Like Jo said, carry extra stuff in your carry-on. I never had an issue with ballooning while at 30,000 feet.

TSA always stops me at the full body scan. It easily picks up a plastic bag, even if you drain it 2 minutes prior to the scanner. You will be touched by TSA.

Enjoy your trip!

Xerxes
Sep 26, 2024 10:46 pm

MM,

If you're traveling economy, make sure to get an aisle seat especially if it's a long flight.

Ā 

Xerxes

MargaretMary
Sep 27, 2024 1:02 am

Thanks everyone!Ā 

kmhargis
Sep 30, 2024 12:52 am

I just flew for the first time with a new ileostomy. Sitting by a window seat as we were landing, my bag had a major leak. The good news - I already had a precut barrier and lots of extra supplies with me. I changed the bag standing up in the airline lavatory, and it held up until I got home 3 days later. Tip: always precut a barrier, don't panic, and you will be fine!

Tonkaplayer
Sep 30, 2024 3:50 am
Reply to šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ Jo

Any problems with aerosol adhesive remover or ostomy scissors with TSA? I am flying for the first time with my urostomy on Wed, Oct 2nd. I have purchased a backpack with a secondary small backpack as my personal carry-on. I have pre-cut several bags, loaded up on all supplies needed in the backpack (overhead bin baggage, 36-liter size), and will also put supplies in the suitcase. Extra overnight drain bag, leg bag, straps, etc. Overkill, but better that than not enough, or at least I hope! Have you requested a hand scanner? I don't think TSA is keen on doing them, but hey.

Thanks

Batatat1
Sep 30, 2024 1:31 pm

I just flew for the first time 5 months post Ileostomy surgery. I did limit my coffee intake prior to the trip as ā€œ at timesā€ I have a tendency to expel pure liquid following intake. I also avoided any gaseous food. As suggested, I took all supplies with me and made sure I was sitting in an aisle seat. No issues with security.Ā 
I have also purchased 2 sheepskin seatbelt covers which do up with Velcro around the strap. I use one in my car and will keep the other for travelling. The cushioning effect makes it very comfortable over the stoma site. Enjoy your trip!

betsyb
Sep 30, 2024 3:34 pm
Reply to dmo101

First time I flew with Stella and was stopped by TSA, I said, "I have a stomaā€”do you want to see it?" (as I reached for my waistline), and I was pushed right through. That's been my catchphrase ever since. Seems to work.

orfalinda65
Sep 30, 2024 11:15 pm

Hi, I have a few tips. 1) Sit by the aisle if at all possible for a quick getaway to the restroom. 2) Take your ostomy travel kit with your purse or carry-on. But if you need it mid-flight, you won't want to have it in the overhead bin. My ostomy travel kit, or bag for short, contains what I need for a change, including a pair of underwear. 3) Be very careful what you eat before your flight, nothing that will produce gas that may cause your bag to "explode" or leak while on board, and most of all, go to the restroom before boarding and during layovers. Don't be surprised when you're frisked by security before boarding. I'm female, and they always have a female do it to me.

Ā 

orfalinda65
Sep 30, 2024 11:18 pm
Reply to betsyb

Betsy,

It didn't work for me. They took me into a closet like place. I had to show it.

jansarirn
Oct 01, 2024 4:01 am

Flying on both Alaska and United, I am allowed a ā€œmedicalā€ carry-on, tagged cabin. I believe all US carriers honor this. This is at no extra charge and in addition to my regular carry-on allotment. Since we are covered by the ADA, this should be no problem. In the bag, I pack three times as much equipment as I think I'll need, along with a complete change of clothing. As I put my things on the belt to go through the X-ray machine, I lean over and tell the TSA person I have an ileostomy while I pat my side. Usually, I am just told to walk on through. Once, as I was coming back into the country, I was patted down. The poor TSA woman broke into a sweat, as I declined going into a private room. When I board the plane, I immediately let the flight attendant know I have an ileostomy and may need to get up repeatedly to use the restroom. I frequently am gifted extra water and pretzels also. I have never had a blowout at altitude or any other bag problems. Also, it is good to learn the phrases ā€œI have an ileostomy. I don't have a colonā€ in the languages of the places you will be visiting.

MBT
Oct 11, 2024 11:36 pm

The United Ostomy Association of America has a good list with tips on this:

https://www.ostomy.org/ostomy-travel-and-tsa-communication-card/

You might also want to check out their YouTube video demonstrating what a TSA ostomy pat down should look like. I've had a lot of pat downs, each of them, more or less, were something like what is demonstrated in their video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U34sGCht504Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Redondo
Oct 12, 2024 9:35 pm

I fly all the time with no problem. Just recently I was on international flight for 11 hours without any incidence. The only thing I would mention is to have a supply of ostomy pouches already to go just in case you need a quick change along with a change of clothes if necessary. That happened to me once when I was at a connection and was fortunate to have everything handy. I also travel with supplies in my carry on as well as checked luggage just in case. I don't worry anymore about altitude affecting gas within the pouch but I do stay away from eating roughage or having soda. Going through TSA isn't a problem either. They usually just have some sort of a wipe where they make me touch the area of my pouch and then swipe my hand and no problem. Hope that helps.