BAD LUCK vs WORSE LUCK

Replies
Views
HenryM
Sep 17, 2024 8:22 am

HERE'S SOMETHING THAT EVERY OSTOMATE can understand.  It is from Cormac McCarthy’s ‘No Country for Old Men.’  “You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.”  If it was bad luck that I got sick and ended up undergoing a proctocolectomy, it saved me from the worse luck of dying a shortened life in a hospital bed.  I think we all recognize this painful truth.  Having an ostomy may have its complications and nuisances, it may necessitate some life style alterations and some accommodations to a peculiar reality, but we’re still alive and kicking and learning and getting stronger.  My surgery was in 1964 at the age of 21.  That was sixty years ago.  This morning I slapped on my waist belt, slipped into my walking shoes, and did two miles with a smile on my face.  Life is good.  

AlexT
Sep 17, 2024 10:28 am

I prefer good luck. 🍀 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HenryM
Sep 17, 2024 10:48 am
Reply to AlexT

‘Good luck is when opportunity meets preparation, while bad luck is when lack of preparation meets reality.’ – Eliyahu Goldratt

warrior
Sep 17, 2024 1:42 pm
Reply to HenryM

Hee hee.  Explain that to a one time winning lottery ticket holder. 🤔

Nini4
Sep 17, 2024 3:01 pm

Thank you Henry. I like to think this way!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Sep 18, 2024 5:34 am

Ya gotta watch the 2003 movie "The Cooler."  William H Macy is great.  Sometimes in the end, ya just gotta get lucky.

Great post Henry.