Red Itchy Skin Around Flange Adhesive - Advice Needed

Replies
Views
Stephanie Stoma
Oct 05, 2024 4:16 am

Anyone experienced red itchy skin around the adhesive of your flange?

The skin is also dry and flaky. 

Suggestions and help appreciated!

warrior
Oct 05, 2024 11:34 am

Good morning, Stephanie.

Welcome to the joint.

Good to have you.

I have read your previous posts and understand you do see a stoma nurse. You should ask her by way of seeing it and for recommendations.

This topic has been addressed, so using the icons above could help a bit, but guessing at what could be the trouble?

1- Irritated skin from exposure to poop, as you have mentioned before.

2- Allergic reaction to adhesives used in the flange and extenders you mentioned you used.

I suffer from that red, inflamed skin around the stoma too. But it's not itchy, flaky, or bothersome.

It does affect appliance life, though. I get 3 days' wear time. Used to get 5, but I'm learning still after 8 years with an ileo that changes are better than longer wear time.

Showering without the appliance helps.

I was told of a variety of topical creams and sprays to use too.

You mentioned you do use protectant and a sealer.

I don't, which is likely my problem.

Giving your stoma skin some air time - without the appliance on - helps the skin heal.

I began using a moisturizer, which is a big no-no since it leaves residue, but I clean the area very well after using it and notice less redness after 3 changes.

It may not work for everyone. It works for me.

See your nurse for an accurate diagnosis. And hear what others have to say here and question your nurse.

Good luck. Sit tight. Answers coming. Just my 2 cents.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

GrannyRocks
Oct 05, 2024 11:38 am
Reply to warrior

Thank you Warrior I found that the one day I didn't use the adhesive remover was when I got sores around the edge of my protective barriers!  Cleaned it real well and let it dry (which is important too!) and now it's just about gone!!

GrannyRocks
Oct 05, 2024 11:42 am

You could be allergic to the " tape" or any other part of the ostomy equipment. Or, as in my case, I didn't use the adhesive remover wiping pads to thoroughly clean and clear the area first. Then I take some wet pads or washcloth and wipe that off and let it dry thoroughly. Skin is so much better now. However the itchiness you describe sounds like an allergy. Call your supplier and see if they have hypo allergenic ones. Hope this helps. 

w30bob
Oct 05, 2024 12:58 pm

Hi SS,

Make sure I'm getting this right... is the irritation where the barrier adhesive stops, or is it just where the barrier adhesive touches your skin? It makes a big difference.

;O)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
JOEHEALTHCARE
Oct 06, 2024 2:03 am

Don't wear your belt really tight.

JOEHEALTHCARE
Oct 06, 2024 2:05 am

Don't wear your belt so tight.

GraceFalls
Oct 13, 2024 3:33 am

I am allergic to friggin everything.

When my pouch even touches my thighs, rash.

The best remedy for me is naked showers and air time.