Struggling with Pancaking - What Have You Tried?

Replies
Views
grammalin
Oct 15, 2024 11:57 pm

I've tried lubricant, tissues, etc. I still have terrible pancaking! Anyone else, and what did you try?

Bill
Oct 16, 2024 9:30 am

Hello grammalin.
Thanks for your post.
At the risk of repeating myself on this subject, I would say that I (long-since) gave up on all the recommended hacks for resolving this issue and reverted to a DIY practical approach.
From my perspective, the problem seems to be that the bags/sleeves rest directly on the stoma outlet which causes pancaking.
The solution therefore, would be to somehow keep the bag/sleeve way from the stoma. If all the other methods don't work, then this needs to be achieved from inside the bag. 
My solution was to make my own baseplates so that I could attach a device to achieve that end. Photos of my efforts can be found on my profile. I am at present trialling a smaller version of the same sort of thing, which looks very promising.
All my DIY stuff is made in my shed from things readily and cheaply available (usually free).
The problem for most people is that this sort of stuff is uneconomical for manufacturers to produce because each device is made to fit the individual and often need 'tweaking' to get it to work efficiently. 
Someday maybe, someone will offer such a service but I suspect that it will either be very expensive or it will be a voluntary service  that will probably be quickly overwhelmed with requests. 
Where I live, we have a small group of practical 'hackers' who relish the thought of challenges like this and I feel sure they would try to help if approached. However, I also think that whoever makes these devices would probably need first hand experience of having a stoma, to be able to fully comprehend the problems involved.
I do hope you can resolve your problem asap.
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Kas
Oct 16, 2024 10:05 am

If you aren't drinking enough, your output will be thicker and can get too thick to where it doesn't drop down. This has happened to me once or twice.

Justbreathe
Oct 16, 2024 11:20 am

My fix was to make sure there is a bit of “trapped air” in the bag as well as a bit of baby oil.  If the bag has a filter, this can be a problem…jb

Beth22
Oct 16, 2024 3:33 pm

As justbreath suggested... and I as well get the pancaking and always have, as my output tends to run on the thicker side, and my stoma moves in ways it shouldn't, lol. So, I need to have space for both reasons. The best I have found to fix the problem is to put some air in the bag, but just where your stoma is so the plastic isn't sitting on your stoma. Also, I agree with JB: if there's a filter, the air won't stay in the bag. So, if you have a filter, try to cover it or use a no-filter bag.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Oct 16, 2024 3:42 pm
Reply to Beth22

🤣🤣🤣 Ways it shouldn't!

MsPriss
Oct 16, 2024 4:22 pm

I switched to closed bags and pancaking doesn’t bother me. If it pancakes, I will be removing and changing the bag soon. 

Also one piece, so if stool pancakes around the flange, well I’ll be changing that soon too. 

I have also used filter-less bags, and I don’t like that because it makes my clothes fit poorly to have a balloon under my pants. 

TerryLT
Oct 16, 2024 8:55 pm

Increasing the liquid in my diet has been the best way to avoid this issue for me.

Terry

aTraveler
Oct 16, 2024 9:07 pm

Lubricants are not all the same —some work better than others. Brava lubricant/deodorant works best for me. The lubricants don't stop pancaking they just enable the effluent to slide down easier. Air/gas in your bag can be your friend. I use a bag with a filter. I used to cover up the filter to keep gas in the bag — it worked well to control pancaking but at the expense of having gas keeping the bag full with gas. I would have to constantly burp the bag. There is definitely no way to conceal a ballooned bag under your clothes. I, therefore, keep the cover off the filter and use a lubricant. Pancaking occurs but if I stand up/walk the effluent slides to the bottom of the bag. I use a closed in pouch that I have to change 2 - 3 times per day — normally only twice. By having a closed pouch, I don't wear one long enough to have the filter clogged. Pancaking and ballooning form a duality — pick your poison. 😕

Beth22
Oct 17, 2024 3:04 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Just breathe, yes, seriously... Mine doesn't move like a normal stoma at all; mine moves in circles, mine doesn't just pull back and forth. Also, the sides of my stoma suck in and out, and it also goes completely backwards, does a 180 to where the opening of the stoma is staring me in the eye, it will prolapse and 5 minutes later retract to skin level, then 10 minutes later go normal... Lol, she is very unique 😁

IGGIE
Oct 18, 2024 9:30 am

G-Day Grammalin, all you need to stop pancaking is liquid, but you said you use tissues which will soak up the liquid, so stop using the tissues. If you have a drainable bag, open the end and add some water and swish it around. Regards, IGGIE.