I'M ALIVE!

Replies
Views
MissMeganM
Oct 03, 2013 12:37 pm
And I have no extra holes, lol.  Primeboy was right in saying sometimes we just have to let go and trust.  

I had a couple of scopes done yesterday and all went well.  I was put to sleep and don't remember any of it, but better than that is I didn't sustain the bowel perforation I was so worried about sustaining.  As a matter of fact, I have only a very small patch of active disease in the part of the small intestine I am using that is very mild - so much so that it does not warrant any treatment.  The part of my intestine that is OFFLINE is another story, but I knew that already.  My doctor told me that should I decide I wanted to undergo a reversal of my ileostomy, I would lose a great deal of my small intestine.  I knew this.  It's one of the reasons I have elected to keep my ostomy in the first place.  She told me that I was a most unusual case - there are no cases in the books like mine.  I was unique.  I laughed and asked her if that gleam in her eye meant that she was going to use me as her case study, LOL

So good news!  What's more I have learned from this experience that there ARE medical professionals I can trust, who WANT me to get better and will do everything they can to help me do that.  What a world we live in, what a crazy and horrible and beautiful world.  I'm glad I'm still here to enjoy it, bag and all

Login to see image

christiesdad
Oct 03, 2013 12:39 pm
Great feeling isn't it.

Congrats!!

Jack
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Oct 04, 2013 11:27 pm
  MissMeganM, your positive attitude and jest for life is inspirational to me. Your post lifted my spirits to a level unseen in 23 days and made me realize that a bag is not the end, but the beginning of a new day. It's now very clear to me that I have no right to feel sorry for myself anymore.....time to simply "get on with it"

xmlo/o

P.S....... Great pics. Maine looks like a wonderful place to hang!

Login to see image

o/o

Kolan
MissMeganM
Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm
Good Kolan

Login to see image

I'm glad.  I remember being where you are now - when I was in the hospital, I laid there and cried all night one night in my bed because I didn't think anyone was going to hug me ever again.  I didn't think I'd go camping, or swimming, or be attractive to anyone anymore.  But I was SO WRONG.  It takes courage to set yourself free - but you would never have made it this far if you WEREN'T brave and strong.  So remember that.......and jump

Login to see image

bjdaniels
Oct 09, 2013 3:26 pm
Congratulations MissMeganM, and YES we are alive, bag and all. It's a life change yes, but things could be worse, people suffer with alot worse.  Let's just keep on at life, it's still very good! Amen

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Ewesful
Oct 09, 2013 3:51 pm
Proud of you for dealing with it head and thankful for the outcome-- be sure they write this up - you never know when you will be a godsend to someone else -- are you dealing with FAP or something else?
MissMeganM
Oct 09, 2013 6:30 pm
It's a weird story, Ewesful.  Actually what happened to me was I have Crohn's disease but had an incorrect diagnosis of IBS.  I had my tubes tied and during the procedure the OB perforated my bowel while she was taking down the numerous, severe adhesions I had.  She definitely acted out of the scope of her practice - didn't realize she had done it, sewed me up and sent me home.  Two days later, I was rushed to the ER with septic shock, a complete small bowel obstruction and perforation.  I was taken to emergency surgery, where I was finally diagnosed with Crohn's disease and given an ileostomy to save my life.  I almost didn't make it.  This was last October - almost to the DAY of my scopes.

I underwent those scopes to see how the disease had progressed over the past year and to get a baseline "normal" for me, since I have had the disease for 12 years or so and NEVER have had treatment for it or any scopes before.  I'm SO GLAD it went well, I was terrified to have to relive the events of last October.
Ewesful
Oct 09, 2013 10:45 pm
I am amazed and so thankful for you = I had a Dr remove a horrendous mess of fibroids as well but it was all done without cutting through the abdomen. I was very lucky that all went well - the expectation of cancer was 99% but none was found and I am so thankful....especially in view of the FAP gene that was discovered so many years later --

The iieostomy sure has it's moments but my gosh it is a dream compared to the horrors of what could have been!

I have the scans at one year and I am asleep as well when they are done.  The technology is wonderful....I so hope you have a wonderful year ahead -- Hugs of happiness!
MissMeganM
Oct 10, 2013 12:43 pm
Thank you thank you thank you......and all the best wishes for your coming year too

Login to see image

Past Member
Oct 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Like almost dying?

Glad you were able to find a good driver for your scope
MissMeganM
Oct 14, 2013 12:35 pm
Thank you so much for being you, lol.  It helps me

Login to see image

Past Member
Oct 14, 2013 4:54 pm
you are more than welcome