Ostomy Belt Experiences for Hernia Support

Replies
Views
ronjeff
Aug 07, 2018 12:59 pm

I have hernia and wear a belt.  Also helps with support.  How do you handle your hernnia from ostomy surgery?

Bill
Aug 07, 2018 3:19 pm

It's a bit difficult to know what to do with hernias because it depends on where they are and what symptoms they generate. I have a standard hernia belt for the generalised hernia from the operation; another I made myself which presses down hard on my stoma to prevent the parastomal hernia from developing any further; I wear a plug to try to prevent the hole from closing over completely on the inside and stopping the output; I have to be careful with the width of the general hernia belt because if it rises too high it interferes with my hiatus hernia and I get severe reflux and a whole host of other problems with my oesophagus and digestive tract. I suppose, in the end it comes down to a balance between care and compromise. I’m never really sure if what I am doing is entirely the ‘right’ thing but it feels right so I carry on until I think of something else to try.
Best wishes
Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Little Red
Aug 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi all,  this about Belts, Wraps etc is all new to me,  I have had my ostomy since March of 2017  then this year I had my Galbladder removed and  a hernia repair at the same time.  Now as my Dr put it .( Yes it is a Hernia )   umbilical and just above.  I have never heard of, even my Ostomy Nurses have never mentioned support belts.  So now I am going to order one  myself,  can anyone tell me how, what are good ones  for both  support and hernials  etc,  I would welcome any input