Managing a Parastomal Hernia Without Surgery

Replies
Views
Leggy
Oct 11, 2018 9:20 am

I have had a Urostomy 14 years with no problems with anything at all.  However  I now have developed a 'parastomal hernia'... Does anyone have any info or tips on how to manage this. I know there is surgery which entails inserting a mesh support but I've read bad reviews about this and would rather try anything to help my self.  I am not a 'big eater' and prefer fish to meat.  Recently I am waking in the early hours with a niggling ache in the area  which makes me think the hernia has grown and affecting my digestive system. 

Bill
Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Hello Leggy. I have had a parastomal hernia since the first operation, which is now many years ago. Every now and then I get niggly pains and I wonder what is going on. However, like you, I am reluctant to even consider further surgery - especially in light of recent reviews about mesh. I wear a stoma plug during the day, thinking that this would keep the hole from closing over and perhaps keep the hernia from getting any bigger. With the same logic, I wear a stoma belt and an extra belt over the top of my clothes with the buckle right over the stoma to keep it firmly in place. Whilst I feel comfortable and confident with this arrangement, I really have no idea as to whether it actually works to keep the hernia under control. The problem is, that if I don't wear these things and it goes wrong, then I will curse myself for not having followed my instincts about these matters. One of the factors at play here is that when I wear nothing to support the stoma( as when I irrigate) it definitely bulges out in a disquiting manner. It's difficult for me to recommend my own solutions to someone else because there are certain disadvantages, such as the tight belt sometimes seems to affect my digestion, but on the other hand, that might be caused by something competely different. Who knows?

I hope you get lots of replies and find something to suit your circumstances.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

chestnut
Oct 12, 2018 1:45 am

I too have developed a peristomal hernia and am in the same boat as you two. I wear a hernia belt (NuHope) every waking hour (except for showering). I was developing skin issues when it was on 24/7 and Bill suggested I sleep without it. (Helping, thank you.) I am honestly afraid of another surgery and not thrilled with what I've learned about mesh repair. My surgeon is kind of lacksidaisial (?) and few answers how quickly I should address this.  Without the belt, I look 4 months pregnant. At 105 pounds, this looks quite extreme. I know this probably isn't all that helpful, but sure hope this makes you feel less alone. Best of luck and keep in touch.

sassie
Oct 13, 2018 10:22 pm

ive had one from day one i'm sure, and just using a ostomy belt or tight undies really helps, my Dr. says as long as that works, i'm good to go..good luck

Leggy
Oct 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Thank you for your helpful replies.  I do wear a ladies pantie girdle - think I may just get a stronger one - or perhaps even a size smaller than I am! I will look into getting a hernia belt though.  Thanks again. X

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play