Unexpected Drainage with a Colostomy - Advice Needed

Replies
Views
Janelle
Nov 21, 2021 11:56 pm

Hi my name is Janelle  and I have had a Colostomy for many many years and recently I've had some drainage coming from my anus don't mean to be so blunt but I really need help and I'm not sure what this is draining out of my butt Has anyone ever had this issue before? Iam going to the doctor next month!!

lovely
Nov 22, 2021 1:48 am

Most of us have a mucus discharge; is that what you are having?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

w30bob
Nov 22, 2021 4:04 am

Hi Janelle,

As lovely said, if your rectum is still intact it will produce mucus that over time will make you fell like you need to have a bowel movement.  But if in all the years you've had your colostomy you've never had that happen..........and now you do.......you should see your doc.  I assume you're not seeing blood, as you'd have probably said that.   Not to be gross, but if you're concerned about what's coming out.......you can grab a sample to bring to your Doc the day of your appointment.  If there's no lab there your Doc can tell you where one is located nearby.  With a sample they can tell you exactly what it is.  Since you seem to indicate you never had a discharge before, and now you do..........it could be from an abscess or such.  Your Doc will probably want you to do bloodwork too.........you might want to call and have them send the script for the bloodwork now, so you can get it done and have the results in time for your appointment with your Doc.  I'd give 'em a call and get that sorted.  

regards,

bob