Stoma Prolapse: Safe Core Exercises Post-Surgery?

Replies
Views
Cp86
May 10, 2022 5:48 pm

I am used to be active and working out.  I experienced stoma prolapse, and I am afraid to move.  I want to be able to do core exercises to get strong post surgery.  Any suggestions on what is safe? Or good resources

TerryLT
May 11, 2022 9:04 pm

Hi CP86,  I hesitate to give you advice on this, and I see that others seem to be hesitating too!  I had a colostomy (now have an ileo) and experienced prolapses, a few minor ones that went back in by themselves.  I had another really bad one where I had to go to the ER and they had to anesthetize me twice to get it back in.  It can be so bad that you need surgery to correct it, so it's not something to take lightly.  I think you should get a doctor's or an ostomy nurse's advice on this one.  I don't think the medical profession is really sure what causes prolapses, so it's had to know how to avoid them.  It makes sense though, that abdominal or core exercises might be risky.  At the very least, I would probably wear a hernia belt, but I'm not sure that would be enough.  I do know that once you have had a prolapse, you are more likely to have another.  I think you should get some professional advice before you take any chances.

Good luck,

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

mhf
May 12, 2022 6:46 pm
Reply to TerryLT

I recently had ileostomy prolapse and same concerns. Doctor is unable to see me until June 10