Disappointed by the Ostomate Community's Reception

Replies
Views
judianna
Feb 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Just came to this site a few days ago and was excited to find a community of ostomates.
Wow! A place where I expected to find support and understanding. A caring group who shared experiences in the hopes of helping new ostomates find their way... Instead, I found contention... Rude people out only to hurt and disturb others... No thanks!
I won't be back... so sad!
Login to see image

three
Feb 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Judianna ~ I am sorry to hear that your first experiences were unpleasant. As of now, there are 5504 members listed on this site, and I am assuming that only a few disappointed you. Perhaps there is something I can communicate to anyone who "really" was out of line — please let me know if there is anything I can do. I truly hope what needs to transform can transform so you can enjoy interacting with some of the amazing people on this site.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Feb 01, 2011 10:10 pm
Hi Judianna,

Yes, don't let one bad apple ruin this site for you (I think the bad apple has been removed now by admin - thanks guys!).

Check out all the posts from everyone else on here and you'll find a great group of people (well I reckon we are!).

Cheers and hope to see you on here,

Jo x  

Login to see image

Past Member
Feb 01, 2011 10:16 pm

I found this site to be very helpful for me. Don't let one bad apple spoil it for you.

vulcanBMk2
Feb 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Hey Marion, give the site a chance! There are a lot of good, helpful, and sympathetic people on here. Just ignore the self-centered, self-righteous, sanctimonious, rude, and depressant types you get on here (yeah, like all forums, you get them on here too).
You will get all sorts of advice from people on here—just pick the bones out of any information useful to you and junk the rest!
Ostomates get dealt a bum hand—some dust themselves off and carry on as normal as possible, others are medically unable to do this, and some people just want to wallow in their own misfortune.
I found a sense of humor, a positive attitude, a little luck, and the love of family worth their weight in gold as an aid to recovery and for coping with life day to day.
Anyway, give it a go. I am quite critical of sites like this—but on here, the good outweighs the bad!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
beyondpar
Feb 02, 2011 1:20 am

Well said, Vulcan. I could not have said it better.

Give us a chance. My suggestion here is for you to go to the Forum page and read to your heart's content on all subject matters, and you will find the threads to be quite magical in their healing and the words completely compassionate by over 90% of the respondents.

Then come back, and we all would love to hear what you have to say. Michael

lynsie
Feb 02, 2011 1:33 am

This is a good site, just got to know when to sign on, and yes I know 1 person can be rude, even send emails... too many drugs? But learn to ignore... the site helps to chat when you've had a crisis and no one else understands... don't leave!

Primeboy
Feb 02, 2011 2:05 am
Give it a few more days. I have found nothing but positive messages here. I am sure there's more a misunderstanding than willful hurtfulness. Everyone here shares a common physical anomaly which should make us all special to each other.
WOUNDED DOE
Feb 02, 2011 2:16 am
Hi Judianna

Login to see image

Look at all the great friends stepping up to greet you right now

Login to see image

we want you to stay with us dear

Login to see image

Login to see image

Even the friendliest Pub might need a "Bouncer" on occasion to toss someone .....that is pretty much what happened here.  He is gone.  When I followed many of his other posts even in old threads, wow, nasty what he was doing.  Harrassment like that is not something to tolerate and Admin took care of the problem and there is peace in here again.  Most everyone you will meet are fantastic and sincere, we can discuss openly many issues, support each other, share some laughs,...sometimes tears.  I hope you will stay

Login to see image

Gus
Feb 02, 2011 4:38 am

Login to see image

Sorry if I offended you, Judianna. I was only coming to the defense of a sweet and lovely lady who has gone through some rough times. Mind you, if needed, I would do it again for any of the friends I have come to know in these forums. I guess security work does carry over into the forums, and I'm okay with that. Come back, give us a chance, and you'll see the wonderful, talented, funny, and most times crazy bunch that we are.
bes0642
Feb 02, 2011 4:50 am
judianna

I'm really sad that you had a bad experience on this site.  

Login to see image

There are always a few bad apples in a barrel.

Login to see image

However, the administrator took care of that.  

Login to see image

I truly believe you will get a great deal of benefit by continuing to come to this site. I've found out over the 4 years since I've had my Ostomy a lot of the medical professionals (DR's &  WOC Nurses) don't have all the answers. There are a multitude of priceless experiences and information to be gained here that can help you from the 5506 members on this site. I believe you have to have been there, done that to be able to truly help someone. Although some of the medical professionals mean well, EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER. Please re-think your decision and come back. God bless you and I hope you will return.  

Login to see image

Lobster
Feb 02, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Judianna,

It was just one bad apple, but he has been taken out of our little cider barrel now, so come back and have another drink with us (I think I know what I am saying here, but accept that it may well be gibberish!).

Cheers, Iain

judianna
Feb 02, 2011 2:17 pm
Thanks everybody for your concern and encouragement. I guess it was just a case of

bad timing... LOL. And at my age, I don't have time for such foolishness.

I'm here to help others and be informed medically.

Thanks again, give me a holler if you see me around...........

Login to see image

Past Member
Feb 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Woundeddoe,
Simply amazing, what you told Julianna. I applaud your eloquence. I only wish that I could have beaten you to the punch and told her something like that. The wording was perfect, good work!
Now what the hell happened? I miss one day and all hell breaks loose. The posting was removed before I got a chance to read it. Just as well, I guess he got booted and rightly so.

Jacksprat

beatrice
Feb 02, 2011 7:57 pm
My goodness!  There is so much good here ... don't let anything that doesn't agree with you keep you away.

Never forget how easy it is to simply stop reading

Login to see image