Seeking Advice on Choosing an Ostomy Bag Cover

Replies
Views
EA54
Jul 24, 2024 3:01 pm

Hello,

I'm thinking about ordering an ostomy bag cover. I just had my ileostomy about a month ago and would like to ask for advice/suggestions from others in the forum who wear them. How comfortable is it to wear? Does it impede the ileostomy output as the bag fills? Is it worth having one? What brands would you recommend? I browsed Amazon, which shows numerous choices of ostomy bags, which makes it hard to choose.

Thanks in advance for your info/comments/suggestions,

EA54

Mysterious Mose
Jul 24, 2024 3:52 pm

They do not impede flow. I have never had one, but there is a lot of information here. Search for "bag covers" and/or other relevant searches under the Ostomy header.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Kas
Jul 24, 2024 4:14 pm

My daughter bought a few for me when the ostomy was brand new. Some cute homemade ones that said "F*** cancer." I wore them a couple of times, but I don't bother with them anymore. They did not impede flow or anything, but my bag is under my clothes and no one sees it anyway.

Happytostillbehere
Jul 24, 2024 5:26 pm

Bought two different ones early in my ileostomy journey. They didn't stay on well and made the pouch stand out more underneath my shirt. I've never bothered with them since and have had no problem wearing my pouches as is.

Justbreathe
Jul 24, 2024 7:07 pm

Great question and great answers... Ileostomy here. I bought some on Amazon. They fell off; they were useless for me. Perhaps what you might want is a stealth belt or the Ike's... not sure. Just know I was greatly disappointed with my purchase. I know they warn against sharing an address, but if you message me, I will gladly mail you the remaining ones. jb

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
DexieB
Jul 24, 2024 8:56 pm

Hello, I had a colostomy - ordered some covers off Amazon because I thought I would wear them when I had a half shirt/bikini top on around the house, working in the yard, etc. The covers were cute, but I found it was more of a hassle than anything, so I didn't end up using them. Instead, I ordered a box of non-see-through bags and used them for those occasions.

AlexT
Jul 24, 2024 10:27 pm

Waste of money.

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 25, 2024 2:00 am

I used them in the early days (made my own) as I had a rash where the bag rested on the skin; the cover helped heal that.

They don't impede flow; I made mine with an open end so they were easy to use. I know of people who have used a cotton baby bib tied underneath the bag if they have skin issues; that would work too.

The online ones are ridiculously expensive (even if some of the ones with slogans are hilarious). I made mine with scraps of material with a pattern I found on an old Dutch website "stomaatje", but it's really just sewing a couple of pieces of material together. I'm not crafty, and if I can do it, anyone can.

https://www.stomaatje.com/clothing.html

Login to see image

Hisbiscus
Jul 25, 2024 4:15 am

You might like a maternity band better because it will hold things together. I've never tried the pouch covers because they are too noticeable.

IGGIE
Jul 25, 2024 8:58 am

They are a waste of money and only add to the bulk which you don't need. Regards, IGGIE