Adjusting to Life Without My Husband's Help with My Bag

Replies
Views
cjotl2019
Oct 01, 2024 2:19 pm

I’ve gotten so used to my husband helping me with my bag and putting it on that I don’t know what I would do without his help if he were gone one day. I guess I would figure it out. I hate having a bag. It stresses me out so much. That’s just my rant for the day. 

HenryM
Oct 01, 2024 4:15 pm

For a variety of practical reasons, I would highly recommend that you start doing it yourself ASAP.  Once you get the hang of it, it's really no big deal.  It takes me just a few minutes when I change.  Of course, I've been doing it for sixty years, but there's really nothing to it.  You shouldn't let yourself become dependent upon your husband to be doing it for you.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lorgriffini683
Oct 01, 2024 4:48 pm

I can relate to your fear, I'm 6 wks post op today and need hubbie to help with changes due to the placement of my stoma. I do all the cleaning and kit prep myself he just needs to guide me with placement of the new bag.

My stoma nurse has suggested putting a finger in the middle of the window and using the mirror and touch to make sure that matches centre of stoma I just haven't built up the courage to try that yet.

I'm sure we will both manage it independently with time

AlexT
Oct 01, 2024 5:42 pm

Unless a person cannot physically do it themselves, I don't understand why a person wouldn't want to do it for themselves. 🤷‍♂️ A person is really going to stress out if they have to figure it out in an emergency situation.

AlexT
Oct 01, 2024 5:46 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

I don’t even look thru the window thingy until I have it on or use a mirror. I just look at where it is as I put it on. I place the top part first and then press the bottom part. Then, I’ll look at it to make sure it’s positioned correctly and then press it down for a few minutes. If I really miss the mark I’ll put a new one on. If it’s close, it’s good. 👍

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
lorgriffini683
Oct 01, 2024 5:49 pm
Reply to AlexT

Not all stomas are made the same, I suppose. Mine is in a low position and in a dip in my skin, as my tummy isn't flat, so for now, I need the support.

Ben38
Oct 01, 2024 6:43 pm

If you can put plaster on yourself or anyone else if they have a cut finger, etc., you can change a bag; it's just the same in principle. Clean and dry skin, apply plaster, but a bag in our case... If you're physically able to, it would do you good to start changing it yourself. Seeing and touching your stoma can go a long way in helping you learn to live with and accept it. It's not my thing, but some say giving their stoma a name helps them.

AlexT
Oct 01, 2024 7:00 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

My point is that a person, if physically able, is going to have to change it themselves at some point. A person's significant other isn't always going to be there to do it. For example, your husband is at work or not at home, and you have a blowout and must change it. Are you going to just wait for him to get home while pooping however much all over the place, or are you going to attempt to change it yourself? And if you can figure it out in an emergency situation like that, with all the stress involved, why not learn to do it for yourself while you have the help of your husband there? I wasn't trying to put you specifically on the spot; it's just a general statement for everyone with an ostomy. I think of a bag change like this: a bag change is like wiping your butt pre-ostomy. Nobody did it for you before your ostomy, so why have someone do it for you now if you are capable of doing it yourself? Or at least I hope nobody had people wiping their butt before their ostomy. 🤔😁 Maybe I was doing it wrong for all those years. 🤷‍♂️😂

Morning glory
Oct 01, 2024 7:04 pm

You can do it. It is not the end of the world if you don't get it perfect the first time. Put a stand-up mirror on your bathroom counter and angle it where you get a good view. Learn to do this before something should happen to your husband. You aren't going to hurt yourself.

lorgriffini683
Oct 01, 2024 7:49 pm
Reply to AlexT

Trust me, I want to get there, but I'm just trying to figure it all out as I can't see the stoma. It's all so new, but what I'm doing is working for me at the moment.

TerryLT
Oct 01, 2024 8:53 pm

I think you are blowing this up in your mind, and making it into a much bigger deal than it needs to be.  You are a very young person, and it's totally unrealistic to expect your husband will always be there to change your appliance for you.  You just need to make up your mind, and do it.  It will increase your independence, and give your poor husband a break.  Once you get the hang of it, it will increase your confidence.  Don't expect to be a pro right away.  You can do this!

Terry

CrappyColon
Oct 01, 2024 10:14 pm

Well, what you're going to do... 😉

No one is grading how well your first few solo bag changes look, I swear. Take the pressure off yourself. What's the worst thing? No, seriously, what is the worst thing that will happen when you change it yourself?
Get your stuff set out and have your husband in the room if having him close by helps ease anything giving you angst and do it. Then again. And again.
This is part of your new normal, and if physically able, learning to take care of this new version of your body will give you more independence.
You're a woman. You got this. I know you do 😃

Hugo
Oct 01, 2024 10:35 pm

I’m not thrilled about having a bag either.  Who would be?  Changing it myself was daunting and stressful when I first did it without assistance from my partner.  However, it is getting easier and faster the more times I do it,  although I occasionally blow it and have to go back to square one.  I have gotten so much advice and help from the other ostomates on this site, especially those who have long term experience; they know what they’re talking about.  Believe me, if I can do it, just about anyone can!

warrior
Oct 02, 2024 1:43 am
Reply to lorgriffini683

Did the surgeon give you any practical or medical reason for such a poorly placed stoma?

I understand it's recessed, low, and in a dip, but that just seems like the wrong location for it.

What was he/she thinking, creating all this trouble for you? Can you explain?

warrior
Oct 02, 2024 1:51 am
Reply to lorgriffini683

Is there such a thing as a panoramic type of mirror that could help you with appliance change?

I need a lot of light and see this alien sticking out so clearly, I just eyeball align it... press and seal. That's, of course, if it's behaving and not enlarged like the Goodyear blimp.

You will get there in time. Doing it yourself... just wondering what the Dr. was thinking when he gave you it; that's causing you all this grief.

warrior
Oct 02, 2024 1:55 am

And we return to our original poster (O.P.) who has not explained why she can't do an appliance change.

What's she gonna do someday? Panic.

brittanyanderson1013
Oct 02, 2024 1:58 am

Is someone in need of help or support? I am here. However, I do not quite understand this post. Please respond. Thank you, Britt 💕

warrior
Oct 02, 2024 2:29 am
Reply to brittanyanderson1013

Someone was ranting... and someone else is managing a poorly located stoma.

No help is needed. Just advice. Go read the top post.

lorgriffini683
Oct 02, 2024 6:41 am
Reply to warrior

He hasn't given a reason just that he plans to reverse it at around 12 wks post op. I had major planned surgery and then 9 days later emergency surgery which left me with the stoma so I don't know if the urgency had something to do with it 

lorgriffini683
Oct 02, 2024 6:46 am
Reply to warrior

I'm using a magnifying shaving mirror when changing, but it's the bag placement that I can't see through the window. I use the mirror to make sure it's correct because of the dip in my tummy.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am trying to be independent; it's just not easy.

Axl
Oct 02, 2024 7:51 am

Conversely I've never let anyone near mine,  except when unconscious after an operation .. but I had no say in that 🤣

CrappyColon
Oct 02, 2024 12:20 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

Lor, those dips make it tough. Are you using a one piece bag?

lorgriffini683
Oct 02, 2024 12:27 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Yes, with rings, the bag is working and keeping leaks away. It's just the placement at changing, as I can't see it.

CrappyColon
Oct 02, 2024 12:31 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

Have you tried putting the ring over the stoma first then placing the flange over that? Might make it a bit easier. 

lorgriffini683
Oct 02, 2024 12:37 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Yes that's how I started out but it just doubles the problem as I then need help placing the ring and the bag.

cjotl2019
Oct 02, 2024 1:43 pm

With the paste, it is hard to aim. Then, if I get it wrong, I have to get the paste off somehow. Scrubbing, which isn't good for my skin. I just prefer my husband does it.

warrior
Oct 02, 2024 1:48 pm
Reply to Axl

Understood, but you gotta know, when the time comes for a show and tell contest... we win. All the time. 😆

IGGIE
Oct 02, 2024 2:13 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

G-Day Ireland,

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Using a magnifying shaving mirror will distort things and make it harder for you to locate it properly. Use an A4 size mirror located at the right angle so you can see the location easily. For the first attempt, have Hubby close by; then after that, suck it up and do it by yourself. And then, like 99% of every other ostomate, you're on your own.

And don't come back and say, "But I can't do it." Just do it.

Regards, IGGIE

AlexT
Oct 02, 2024 2:27 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

If you're getting reversed in a few weeks, never mind.

warrior
Oct 02, 2024 4:00 pm

Windows? Mirrors? Just need a little smoke and we become magicians. Poof! 🤦‍♂️ Um, err, Pooh... more likely. 😀 Happy hump day, folks!