Switching Back to Solid Foods After a Liquid Diet: Concerns and Advice

Replies
Views
ScrewChrons
Oct 11, 2024 9:21 pm

I've been on a liquid diet for the last 3 days due to a suspected partial blockage.

The blockage came through a few days back, so today I have had toast for breakfast, some chicken, some plain pasta, and a ham sandwich in total today. For the past 3 hours or so now, I've had minimal to zero output in my bag. I don't feel sick, I'm not in any pain, just a little discomfort. I don't feel bloated to the touch either.

So my brain is telling me something is blocked, and I'm starting to panic. It's 10 PM and I want to go to sleep, but I'm scared nothing is coming out.

What should I do, guys? Thanks.

AlexT
Oct 11, 2024 10:03 pm

I think you should go to bed and stop being scared of everything. You completely changed your system from eating food to a liquid diet to eating food again….yep your system is all screwed up now. Regularity is kinda key for you now. If a person has a blockage and it clears it usually means their digestive tract just emptied out, meaning nothing left inside them. Add in not eating solids for a few days and it’s probably really empty. I wouldn’t expect much output until whatever you ate today has time to go thru your system. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Oct 11, 2024 11:25 pm

Unless you suffer pain or fever, just wait it out.  My colostomy sometimes has zero to little output for one to two days.  I used to anguish about it.  But, I had no pain, no discomfort.  It's just the way my stoma rolls.

I sometimes get busy, don't eat all day.  Yet the old bag fills just fine.  Other days I'm pigging out eating burgers, ice creme and... popcorn.  My stoma swells for a while, looks like a mushroom.  Then slowly deflates back to normal.  I'm at 19 months post op.  

Just make sure you chew, chew, chew... then chew a little more.  It's hard... but so is a blockage.

warrior
Oct 12, 2024 12:02 am

Ah, your tank needs filling before you go spilling. Gently resume eating solids. How do you feel today?

oldcrow4444
Oct 12, 2024 4:17 am

I was always told if I introduce the solids ONE at a time to see how my body reacts to the solid food, I should be fine. That should apply to most patients. Drink lots of water. And if there's still an issue, it may be time for a doctor. Best of luck!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
ScrewChrons
Oct 12, 2024 8:37 am
Reply to AlexT

I did exactly this and managed to get a very good sleep last night. I think at the moment my anxiety is peaking like crazy, and I'm second-guessing every single twinge, pain, feeling, and everything in between. Losing the mental game with it. Thank you for this reply; it really helped.

ScrewChrons
Oct 12, 2024 8:38 am
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I was expecting more output in my own head, I think. But I guess food breaks down into a smaller amount than what I actually ate. Just need to learn to trust myself again, which is the ultimate hurdle for myself.

ScrewChrons
Oct 12, 2024 8:42 am
Reply to warrior

I slept well but woke up a bit panicked and upset because I had a bit of pain in the side I slept on. But my brain tells me it's because I've lain on it for so long, but at the same time, it tries to sabotage me and tell me there's something worse going on. Silly, I know. I'm trying to get control of it, but rationally, I think I'm okay. Going to change my bag and get some food and see if that helps me feel a bit better. Thank you for the response, friend.

warrior
Oct 12, 2024 11:54 am
Reply to ScrewChrons

Your welcome. Just watch what you are eating these next few days. Maybe keep a small diary of the foods and drinks you consume. With 4 yrs as an ileo, you should know what certain foods result in output. Yeah, it's the new normal.

As for sleeping, can't get a decent night's rest. At least 1 or 2 times, gotta empty.

As for your brain sabotaging you of recent? Hmm, tell it to STFU.

Listen to your guts—what you have left of them, meaning output.

Brain and guts always conflict.

Back and left side sleeper here. No pain waking up.

Now, about that hat... 😊

Rodr24
Oct 12, 2024 12:25 pm

I once went five days with no output from my colostomy. I was getting really worried so I called my surgeon's office. The nurse first asked if I had pain or a fever, I didn't, so she advised that this can sometimes happen for a number of reasons... And that my focus should be staying hydrated and getting some walks in during the day to help move things along. My stoma started producing a tiny bit of output again on day 6,and returned to normal over the next 3 days. 

Fear can be our natural reaction to being in such unfamiliar territory, but don't let your fear get the better of you... Be aware of what's happening, track your symptoms well, and if you're concerned, a quick call for guidance to your GI surgeon's office can set your mind at ease. 

warrior
Oct 12, 2024 12:29 pm
Reply to Rodr24

Boom! ⚡️ Nailed it.

ScrewChrons
Oct 12, 2024 3:53 pm

Thank you everyone for the responses. I feel like I've finally found somewhere for me. You've helped ease my mind a lot these past few days and I'm extremely thankful.

TerryLT
Oct 12, 2024 8:51 pm

You got some great advice, and I'm glad everything worked out well for you.  Your bio doesn't say whether you have a colostomy, or an ileostomy.  As a general rule, you should expect output  from four to six hours of eating, with an ileostomy, but it could be much longer with a colostomy.  If you aren't in pain, that's a pretty good indication that things are OK.  A little discomfort can just be gas, as is often the case with me.  It just takes some time to work its way out.  You will get to know how your own body reacts to different foods in time.

Terry

Beachboy
Oct 12, 2024 9:29 pm

I'm sometimes amazed. I've had days where I eat a lot. Pizza for breakfast, a big lunch of chicken pasta, then a steak dinner. And my stoma... silent. Nothing comes out. The next day... zip. So my brain starts thinking, "Where does it go?" Eventually, output starts to trickle out, but not as much as went in. So I think, "I must have been hungry!" 😉

infinitycastle52777
Oct 13, 2024 6:46 pm

Give the food some time to work its way through your system. It takes time for things to come out, especially after having had only liquid for a few days. I like to say my stoma is holding onto food for dear life in case it doesn't get any more for a while. So just give it some time and eat normally. As long as you aren't vomiting, then you should be okay. If you are vomiting, you should go to your local ER and be seen.

Hisbiscus
Oct 14, 2024 5:28 am

Take it slower after a blockage. After the liquid diet, move to soft food and then to regular.

If you're still blocked, I used to heat up grape juice in the microwave about as hot as a cup of coffee and sip that, or a can of Coke. That usually would blow whatever was in there out. You can go on your bed, lay flat on your back, and with your arms, lift your legs up by your head, and sometimes that gets it out.

If all else fails, it's the emergency room.