Ostomy, Reversal to Permanent Ostomy!

Replies
Views
PetalMakr
Dec 16, 2013 1:22 am
Hi, I had my lg intestine removed in Feb. of 2013 was given an ileostomy in May it was reversed. I had major problems with the reversal, it should have never been reversed and I think my surgeon knew that. Now I am headed back for a permanent ileostomy Jan. 22, 2014. Never thought I would be relieved to have my ostomy back again, I have been through six months of torture!
edithmbooth
Dec 16, 2013 2:12 am
May I ask....why did it not work...?  I have an ileo right now and am thining about making it permanent.....hear too many issues with complications......I was very ill prior to surgery....35+ BMs per day.....so sphincter is probably not too good......so thinking that ileo might be best for life

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

PetalMakr
Dec 16, 2013 4:07 am
Wow, and I thought I had it bad! Honey if you are having 35 plus BMs per day now plan on keeping the ileo you will be so grateful. I was severely constipated and lived on laxatives in order to have a BM, that is why they had to remove my lg intestine. Since the reversal I have lived on the toliet because of nothing but diarrhea and now I wish I lived on laxatives again! I was up to at one time 8 laxatives every other day. Now I can barely leave the house. So yes, I am going back to the ileo, big mistake doing the reversal. Should have had way more info before letting my surgeon perform it, I not only had the reversal but had major complications having it. Was in the hospital for two weeks!
beyondpar
Dec 16, 2013 5:29 pm
The Medical establishment still thinks pooping out your ass is the only way to be happy with POOP problems and little do they know , unless pooping out ones ass has a good bowel movement, the answer is it can never be good.........Give me a good bowel movement and I will sign up tomorrow,  but once we have problems in that area, it seems to me we can never have a good bowel movement again from the ass, and therefore Permanency for me was the only answer,  and while I fought it tooth and nail the whole way,  LET ME SAY IT OUT LOUD AND FOR EVERYONE TO HEAR...................iT WAS THE BEST DECISION OF MY CHRONICALLY ILL LIFE.........IM SO HAPPY TO BE PERMANENT , AND ITS BEEN 7 YRS. I STILL CANT BELIEVE HOW GOOD MY LIFE HAS BECOME WITH THE POUCH......YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ron in mich
Dec 16, 2013 6:19 pm
hi all yes having an ileo. is the best thing that ever happened, yeah i,ve had my problems with it but i had worse problems before it due to UC i hated all the doc. appt. and meds i was on especially prednisone. i,ve had my ileo. now for 29yrs. and it does,nt hold me back for one second .

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Virgo
Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm
Had op 20th Feb 2013 due to cancer, had bowel reconstruction  and now have permanent colostomy....I have been very blessed as everything is going fine, have just recently taken the huge step to replace my base plate myself, as I felt it was unfair on my man to have to wipe my "bum" he has been absolutely supportive and loving....hope your op goes well and you have a wonderful life  God Bless
PetalMakr
Dec 17, 2013 4:15 am
Thank you Virgo, and God Bless you as well. You gave me a lot of insight and hope! And ron in mich Thank you also, it gives me assurance as I read a post from someone that has had an ileo for 29 years that life goes on, and it doesn't hold you back, thank you for the support.

And beyondpar, you just have issues!
iMacG5
Dec 21, 2013 4:22 am
I don't know PetalMakr or beyondpar but Im happy PetalMakr is feeling supported by many contributors.  Unless I completely misunderstand, I thought beyondpar's reply was very supportive and offers real life experience that could help with PetalMakr's expectations down the road.  Perhaps the language might be offensive to some but the communication is way more important.  As I've stated before, the medical profession needs to stop considering a permanent ostomy a failure.  It's not and I agree with beyondpar, with different language perhaps, it's not the end of the world but the beginning of a somewhat different lifestyle that saves our lives.  I'm not sure what issues he has, if any, but I respect and appreciate beyondpar's contribution.

Lots to be happy about and look forward to.

Mike
PetalMakr
Dec 21, 2013 4:46 am
iMacG5

I did not mean to seem condescending regarding my comment about beyondpar, if he would have simplified his statement without throwing in all the garbage, yes I would have totally understood what he was saying! I myself feel like one of those lab rats that was experimented on, I should have never had a reversal. After having your large intestine removed and talking to many people in my situation my doctor should have never done a reversal on me. I also should have researched my situation more so as not to become one of there lab rats. But definitely right, a permanent ostomy is not a failure and my surgeon after apologizing over and over was willing to do whatever I wanted which was giving me my ostomy back. Pretty sad that I had to go through four surgeries in less than a year to get where I am. But I am just looking to a better future! Thank you
iMacG5
Dec 21, 2013 8:50 pm
I thank you, PetalMakr, and I'm sorry you had to go through all this.  From here on I'm betting it's all good.  I like to think we help each other get there.

Sincerely,

Mike
gutenberg
Dec 22, 2013 3:49 pm
If you go to Beyonpar's profile page and look at his pictures you will readily understand his attitude, I'm by no means trying to defend him, he doesn't need it, he went through hell and you can see his metamorphis and he has been an inspiration to many on this forum, including this poster. If he seems overjoyed with his situation today he can easily get carried away with his enthusiasm and always trying to help others, Ed