Have stoma, will travel

Replies
Views
Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 8:55 am

I thought once I retired, I'd be sitting on the porch in a rocking chair watching clouds waltz across the horizon.

Instead... I've never been so busy.

Booked a Caribbean cruise for early next year. Aruba, Cayman, and Curaçao. Will fly in a week early to visit the Everglades, Manatees, and stop at "Robert is here" in Homestead for Key Lime shakes.

Later this month, flying to Phoenix for 2 days. Attending a memorial service for my friend. Will be my first plane flight with that slyly cantankerous appendage... Mr Stoma.

The next day after returning home, going to see the Stray Cats in concert.

The next week, will enjoy the Orange County fair. Later that night, watch the Turtles in concert.

Driving to Las Vegas after summer to see Foreigner in concert at the Venetian.

Booked our annual year-end trip to Central California. Monterey, Cambria, and Santa Barbara.

Have 3 more international cruises to research and book. With Mrs Beachboy sparring with me about the details, hotels, cruise ship, restaurants... I'm gonna have to resort to stomal warfare. Surreptitious bag burps... clears my computer room every time. Even the cat "hot foots" it outta there.

HenryM
Jul 09, 2024 9:12 am

Do you know the status of the coastal highway around Big Sur?  I assume that they've cleared the landslides that blocked the road and fixed the problem.  I had to cancel a trip there a few years ago because of the landslide over the highway.  The Everglades is a unique place.  Back in the Eighties, my "office car" gave out halfway down the two-lane road going across it.  I could almost see the lightbulbs flashing over the heads of the company of gators hovering thereabout.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
Jul 09, 2024 9:42 am

The Alaska cruise is very nice and interesting to see.

kittybou
Jul 09, 2024 9:52 am

The Stray Cats!

Enjoy! It will be great!

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 09, 2024 10:31 am

♫ Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh ♫ Stray Cats AND Foreigner, that does take me back to my misspent youth! 

Happy travels BB!  ✈︎  જ⁀➴ ⛰︎🚗˙✧˖°📷 ༘ ⋆。˚⚓ 🔱⛵

https://youtu.be/mbAyj1h9vI0?si=2PD23UK4LyYF7PtF

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Justbreathe
Jul 09, 2024 12:04 pm

GOOD ON YOU BB - 👏👏👏

Wow, many fine things on your schedule - hoping you will venture down to the Keys - lived there for 17 years - great things to do and see - so very different from California! The views of the Atlantic Ocean are awesome from the bridges and so many restaurants there - very different from the Pacific. Robert is here was a regular stop when we headed into Homestead!

Cruises - best vacations EVER especially for women…they make your bed and put away your clothes and clean your room daily and the big bonus - they make all meals!!! All you are required to do is HAVE FUN and you know what they say about girls…they 🎶 just wanna have fun🎶. - you feel like you've died and gone to heaven 🤔

Nothing compares to live concerts!!! And Vegas, great place to visit - take plenty O' coin! My hubby lived there for 5 years and I traveled there every few weekends - he had a business in Vegas - I had a career in Phoenix where we lived for 27 years.

I am now content to live vicariously through reading of others' travels so thanks for sharing. I am so thankful for all my life experiences which allow me to be content in my old age. When I was younger, I could not even begin to understand why my mom, in her senior years, had no desire to travel - sorry mom - I now understand….

I wish you well and safe travels and the very best to you in your retirement - keep on keeping on!!! 👏👏👏👍. jb

AlexT
Jul 09, 2024 12:08 pm

The Stray Cats have to be on their 9th lives. 😁

Justbreathe
Jul 09, 2024 12:14 pm
Reply to 🇦🇺 Jo
Nini4
Jul 09, 2024 3:48 pm

Busy bee, you are! Sounds like a blast.  Enjoy it all!

Jayne
Jul 09, 2024 7:06 pm

Said you would wonder how you ever found time to work!

Good, isn't it!

We know you will have fun - no matter what.

Can you ever imagine moping at home?

Waste of life...

Happy travels, listens, and experiences...

We only experience this particular lifetime once...

Better start planning your next one [lifetime] too.

:-) :-) :-)

BW

J

Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 7:55 pm
Reply to AlexT

Yes. In this AI, digital age, they are on life number 00001001.

Jayne
Jul 09, 2024 8:09 pm
Reply to AlexT
Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 8:42 pm
Reply to HenryM

Latest Highway 1 closure info:

HIGHWAY 1 AT PAUL'S SLIDE TO REOPEN SUNDAY, JUNE 23

Owing to favorable site conditions and recent construction progress, Caltrans will reopen Highway 1 at Paul's Slide on Sunday, June 23. The completion of major construction activities will open direct access to the community of Lucia, the Camaldoli Hermitage, and residents living within the newly reopened 4.3 miles of highway.

Direct access on Highway 1 through Paul's Slide has not been possible since a major slide on January 14, 2023, displaced an estimated 500,000 cubic yards of material across the roadway.

"The challenge at Paul's Slide has always been to repair Highway 1 while movement continues within the slide location," said Caltrans Director Tony Tavares.

With the reopening of Paul's Slide, a 6.8-mile segment of Highway 1 will continue to remain closed due to ongoing repairs at Regent's Slide at Post Mile (PM) 27.8. Caltrans estimates it will complete repairs at Regent's Slide in late fall, which will open Highway 1 to direct travel along the entire run of the Big Sur coast between Cambria and Carmel.

With the reopening of Paul's Slide, the southern turnaround point on Highway 1, currently in place at Limekiln State Park at PM 21, will move north to PM 25.3, just south of the Vicente Creek Bridge. The turnaround location offers travelers both a clear line of sight on approach and ample space for large vehicles to maneuver and turn around. So, it's still going to be a while before Highway 1 is fully open.

In the Everglades, we always visit Shark Alley and take the tram tour. Then drive around and into the park to hike the Royal Palm Anhinga Trail. Gotta be careful there: flocks of vultures rip rubber off cars. Fish oil is used in rubber processing, which attracts the vultures. These vultures are a protected species. You can only shoo them away from your car. So, until noontime, we take turns guarding the rental car. After the vultures attack a car... it isn't pretty.

After Anhinga, we slowly drive to Flamingo. One of the few places you can see alligators and crocodiles together.

We always go in February/early March. Pleasant weather... few bugs. But plenty of alligators. Anywhere in Florida: Stay 3 feet away from the water's edge. Gators run FAST for a short distance. You don't want to be lunch.

Jayne
Jul 09, 2024 8:57 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Now back in the UK, we really have little to be really 'wary of' - wildlife-wise...

I am having mental images of crocs suddenly making a mad dash over land for their human lunches!

Seriously, though, an NA resident of Florida reported on one occasion [within the Everglades] having encountered crocs on her bannister in the property!

Sets a new perspective of truly wild going urban!

The UK's best are adders in deer forests and one or two other 'beasties'... [wise to strap our legs when stalking] - and for the nature lovers among us [me included] - stalking is a humane way to manage the herd - so long as one is a clean shot!

We are also wise, of course, to be generally aware [with the usual territorial dominance of many farmed species as well as the wilder mammals and reptilians/snakes - of the females protecting their young, particularly in the early birthing weeks]

But crocs... R-E-S-P-E-C-T, man!

I can barely conceive the true terror of man-eating possibilities - either way below in water or level and traversing land...

Something the British no longer really take on board!

Although, wild boar farmers are mandatorily required to keep triple electric fencing in order - and have a firearms license... but farmed boar - apart from the escapees - are something else. [I discounted this possibility when thinking of species to manage pasture within the Welsh Hills! - Although I did consider it].

Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 9:18 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Hello,

We've explored the wonderful Keys on a couple of trips. We take 2 weeks. Stop for a couple of days at Key Largo. The 1912 steamboat from the Humphrey Bogart film "The African Queen" is here. It's been fully restored and you can take canal cruises on it. We make sure to sample some local Key Lime pie. Every city along the Keys has their own unique Key Lime pie style.

Then it's on to a couple of days at various other Keys. Always stop to enjoy the Key Deer at Big Pine Key. At the end of the road, the eclectic Key West, the Conch Republic. We stay 4 days at the Curry Mansion Inn. Spend our time eating fun food, riding the "World-Famous" Conch Train. Explore the Hemingway home, play with the six-toed cats. Board an excursion out to the Dry Tortugas for a day. Every night we stroll through Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. We love the "Catman of Key West" with his trained rescue kitties.

Driving back, we stay at Captain Pip's Hideaway at Marathon. Walk the old 7 Mile Bridge remnant. Did I mention Key Lime pie? 😃

Then it's on to Islamorada and Tarpon Feeding at Robbie's Marina. Watch out for the birds! Visit Theater of the Sea. Last time we were there, in the back, there was a large area full of cats. We spent a couple of hours playing with the kitties. (Don't tell Charcoal).

Then we explore the Coral Castle. Finally, point our well-traveled rental car toward Miami Airport and bid amazing Florida farewell.

Justbreathe
Jul 09, 2024 9:22 pm

Sorry Jo- apparently this website frowns upon large pic downloads…

In regards to youth - in most cases, I don't believe any of it was misspent - in the long run, it promoted wisdom…

Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 9:48 pm
Reply to xnine

Hello,

Alaska is indeed wonderful.  I once spent 2 weeks on the Kenai Peninsula with my brother driving an old motorhome, what fun!  We fished, caught lots of Salmon, Halibut.  Walked around the Exit Glacier.  Had sunny skies the whole time.  Alaska airlines had a refrigerated section in the cargo area.  Put our fish in there, were still frozen when we got home.  

Second visit was a cruise on the Diamond Princess.  7 day cruise, then bubble top train ride to Denali park.  Took a bus back to Anchorage, stopping each day at a Princess resort.  We were lucky.  Had nice weather allowing clear views the whole time of Mt. McKinley.  We took a plane flight over Denali out of Talkeetna.  Amazing.  We flew really close to the cliffs and snow.  Then dipped down near the Ruth Glacier "Great Gorge" area.  My wife was laughing at me due to the very concerned look on my face.  

I'm planning another Alaska adventure for next summer.  

Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 10:08 pm
Reply to Jayne

Hi Jayne,

I'm now thinking I should have retired 5 years ago.  But, better late than never.  I just got so used to the work routine.  I'm glad my company pushed me out.  I needed a shove.

I'm working on a trip to England/Great Britian for next year.  My wife wants  to tour London and Althorp house in Northampton.  I would like to visit Highclere Castle and attend lunch there.  I enjoyed the  Downton Abbey shows.  Also want to explore Port Isaac, where Doc Martin was filmed.

Alas....so many places to go.... so little time.

Take Care,

Dan

Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 10:23 pm
Reply to Jayne

Yes... Alligators... Beware.

You should see tourists posing for photos and "selfies" with large alligators.

We visit an Everglades park called Shark Alley. There is a long walking path beside a small creek/stream. Alligators are numerous, sunning themselves on the side of the path. Tourists pose... right... next to them. It's a game to see who can get closest. I've given up warning them. Just make sure my camera is ready in case there is a... "scuffle."

One time, a young teenage girl got really close, almost touched the beast. The alligator suddenly opened his toothy mouth... wide. Everyone jumped! Me too. She was lucky he didn't chase her.

We also see lots of baby alligators. Too cute.

Beachboy
Jul 09, 2024 10:50 pm

Mrs. B is giving me grief over this post of mine.

She thinks I'm boastful.

No. Having an ostomy is tough. And for some, very tough. Can we still travel? Is there the possibility of adventure? Exploration? I say yes, within reason. Don't want to fall down and go boom in the middle of nowhere. With thoughtful preparation, ostemates can remain active. I've read posts where a guy couldn't even look at his stoma. I understand. It's not a happy sight for me either. Mine's been tooting like a mini foghorn the last couple of days. Happened in church last Sunday. I just pat the lump on my shirt and say "shoosh." My wife turned to me and said, "Is that you?" Well, yeah. 'Tis me.

There's a statement in my favorite movie, Up:

"Adventure! It's out there."

Don't let a small piece of intestine hold you back.

Morning glory
Jul 09, 2024 11:28 pm

What exciting trips you have planned. Enjoy each trip. Retirement is great. Cruises, as JB has said, are the best. Loved the spoiling.

🇦🇺 Jo
Jul 10, 2024 1:36 am
Reply to Justbreathe

Yes, I agree, in the words of Edith: "No, I don't regret anything!"

In fact, the misspent memories are f*$@ing fantastic! And I continue on in growing old disgracefully! ✨💃 🎶 🥳🍾🥂✨

https://youtu.be/GRHbKfen18U?si=-m8t-YJn2snVJnEx

Login to see image

Beachboy
Jul 10, 2024 3:59 am

I'll retell a couple of my favorite aging stories.

I was complaining to my Oncologist about my hair falling out from chemo. Told him: "I look like an old geezer for goodness sakes." He smiled, chuckled, and said: "Only the lucky get old."

Several months later, I was back for a check-up. Relaxing in the waiting room, I noticed an old lady in a wheelchair in the corner... hunched over, looking to be in poor shape. Nearby was a young woman reading a magazine. No one else there but us. Eventually, she was called. Her young companion began to wheel her in. As they slowly passed me, the old lady suddenly lifted her head, looked at me, and loudly exclaimed, "Getting old ain't for sissies." I couldn't help laughing. I gave her two thumbs up and a wink. She smiled.

I'm going to watch one of my favorites tonight. The amazing "UP." It's well-written, produced, and captures succinctly how adulthood interferes with childhood dreams. It's a story that many know, all too well, from personal experience. Time never stops; as the fragility of life becomes known. My best friend recently died of Frontal Temporal Lobe Dementia at age 65. I'm going to his memorial soon.

My Oncologist was right.

Jayne
Jul 10, 2024 10:14 am
Reply to Beachboy

Absolutely!

rlevineia
Jul 14, 2024 1:11 pm

I live and breathe classic rock. After 8 months of hospitals and nursing homes, I slowly got back on my feet. Now I can finally enjoy my retirement. Doobies Bros, Foreigner, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Rolling Stones. I glamped and hiked the Continental Divide (my photo), Loess Hills, Rocky Mt NP (my favorite). I traveled to San Diego and KC for the Chiefs. This fall? Japan and glamp/day hike Smoky Mt and Shenandoah NPs. It only comes around once, so grab the brass ring.

Beachboy
Jul 14, 2024 4:37 pm
Reply to rlevineia

Yes! And I might add: Absolutely!

Gotta get back to doing the things we love. I mentioned in previous posts how I would look out my hospital room window at people walking, jogging, biking, sailing, and driving about Newport Beach. I wondered, "Will I ever get my life back?"

I'm sure many others have felt similar emotions.

Now with my trusty stoma by my side (well... front side), I have got it back.

Cheers and happy travels.