Poop from anus 8 months after ileostomy and hemicolectomy

Replies
Views
jenevanse
Aug 26, 2024 11:47 am

I am 8 months post-ileostomy for cancer at the recto-sigmoid junction. I felt something solid in my rectum, and my stoma nurse told me to use glycerin suppositories, which I did. I can't believe the amount of fecal-type matter that came out, as everything was cleaned out prior to surgery and the top part of my rectum is sealed. I don't think this is just mucus. Can anyone explain, please?

warrior
Aug 26, 2024 2:34 pm

Hi... welcome. Sorry you are going through this stuff... it's rough the first year.

Hemicolectomy? What exactly is that? 

Did you mean semicolectomy? 

I read your profile as I do with many members.

You said your colon was sewn on top. And you still have rectum and anus and discharge.

Mine was done the same way as yours, hoping to reconnect later, but it never happened. Had to remove everything 7 years later. 

I have nothing down there now.

Is your surgeon planning to reconnect you later?

The stuff coming out now should just be mucus or, worse, bloody. I never had anything formed coming out. Something might be wrong. You may need a scoping. Was there talk to have it removed? 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

DavidK
Aug 26, 2024 6:21 pm

It can be very surprising the amount that is discharged the first time, especially when you're not expecting anything at all!

By the sounds of it, your discharge has been there for 8 months, so again, it's not surprising that it resembles something more than just mucus. In saying that, though, it sounds like a normal discharge and is nothing to worry about. But if you still have concerns, then contact your stoma nurse or surgeon.

gentlejohn
Aug 26, 2024 8:37 pm

That is normal. Debris from your rectal cells will come out.

MBT
Aug 28, 2024 12:58 am
Reply to warrior

Hemicolectomy refers to removing one side of the colon, typically the left side.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
warrior
Aug 28, 2024 6:21 pm
Reply to MBT

Ahh... a fancy new term I was not aware of... so how is this different than saying my ascending or descending colon has been removed? Those are the two sides. It sounds like the descending colon (left side) was removed, no?

MBT
Aug 28, 2024 10:12 pm

I see subtotal colectomy for removing some of the ascending or descending colon. Why use the term hemicolectomy? 🤔 It does seem like semantics sometimes.

warrior
Aug 29, 2024 1:01 am
Reply to MBT

My thoughts exactly. 

Last I heard

the term "hemi" was in a Dodge Ram pickup truck. 

What's next? Super-sized stoma? 😋

MBT
Aug 30, 2024 2:44 am
Reply to warrior

My understanding is that surgeons are looking at the patient (colon) as having two hemispheres in the case of a hemicolectomy. 😉

warrior
Aug 30, 2024 11:41 am
Reply to MBT

That's like having a semi... colon... right? 🤣

It's too confusing... New terms not even in the mainstream yet.

Transverse, ascending, descending. Simple layman's terms. Proper location identification. No guesswork as to what hemisphere you are in.

MBT
Aug 30, 2024 11:38 pm
Reply to warrior

I am in the Northern Hemisphere and excited about autumn 🍂

I read the operative report for every new ostomate I see in the hospital before I meet with them for their first ostomy education. It helps me know what to expect from a surgical standpoint when I see them. I definitely recommend every patient request their operative report and read through it. It's good to know the terms and what procedures were done. You can learn a lot from reading your operative report.