Tips for Managing a Two-Piece System with One Hand

Replies
Views
Gr8ful
Jun 16, 2024 12:21 pm

I am having hand surgery and will have my hand in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks. I have not figured out a way where I can change my two-piece system or even empty it with one hand. Please help with ideas because I cannot find anyone to help me at home, and the insurance won't pay for help at home. Thank you.

AlexT
Jun 16, 2024 1:36 pm

Get closed pouches while the cast is on and go to your doctor when you need to change your equipment.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

IGGIE
Jun 16, 2024 2:19 pm

I just pretended to have only my right hand and I reckon it can be done, not so easy but doable. Try practicing now before you need to do it for real. A closed bag would be the best. Give it a go now. Regards, IGGIE

Ben38
Jun 16, 2024 2:55 pm

I've never changed a 2-piece bag one-handed, but I had surgery a few years ago and had to change and empty a 1-piece drainable bag for over 3 months one-handed, and again very recently for 5 weeks. To be honest, it was quite easy after a few times, and I had to use my left hand, which has very little feeling in it due to a stroke. My bags have a Velcro closure system. I just used to flick them open with my fingers, empty it, and roll it back up. The only downside was that I couldn't clean the end of the bag very well. As for changing, you can do that one-handed: two fingers at the bottom of the flange, thumb on the top, bend in half, and roll it from bottom to top over the stoma. Get lots of practice in now, be hard on yourself, and make sure you only use one hand. I was given closed bags to use the first time around, but I found it much easier to use my normal drainable bags than to keep changing bags.

Bertha
Jun 16, 2024 4:25 pm

As a result of having had polio as a child, my right arm is completely disabled, while I only have the use of my left forearm. I tried using a two-piece but was unable to. I use a one-piece pouch (that I can empty) with tabs and use a belt with it. I manage it successfully. I'd suggest practicing using one hand only and getting some practice in before the surgery. Try a one-piece and see how it goes.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Audrey Warren
Jun 16, 2024 6:16 pm

Last winter, I broke my right wrist and I'm right-handed. I had a cast on for six weeks.
I sympathize because losing use of your hand will be a real challenge. Perhaps you could call a WOC nurse for some tips. Wishing you good luck. Keep us posted.

Ostobychoice
Jun 16, 2024 11:01 pm

If you have an ileostomy, I would suggest standing at the sink and letting your bag hang inside it. Empty the contents into a container. Then remove the bag and take your time working on it and putting on a new one. I allow my stomach to lean on the sink too, just in case my stoma gets active. Once you get used to the idea of poop dripping into your sink, it should be a breeze.

aTraveler
Jun 18, 2024 6:25 pm

I am probably biased because I use closed pouches, but I recommend using closed pouches. Use adhesive spray remover since it will make it easier to remove the pouch with one hand than using wipes — you may have to pay if your insurance will not cover it. I also suggest using an adhesive-coupled appliance since it is a lot easier to attach/remove the pouch. I have severe nerve damage in my hands with limited use of either, therefore I know you can do it. Get samples of adhesive-coupled appliances.

Coloplast:

https://products.coloplast.us/coloplast/ostomy-care/sensura/sensura-flex/sensura-flex-barrier-including-xpro-extended-wear/

ConvaTec:

https://www.convatec.ca/products/pc-stoma-esteem-synergy-two-piece